OLD NIB 45LC SS PUMA

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jstanfield103

Re: OLD NIB 45LC SS PUMA

Post by jstanfield103 »

If you decide to sell the large loop please keep me in mind. I would like to be first on the list.

Thanks
echo89

Post by echo89 »

SUCCESS!

New lever came in Thursday. After a lot of read-ahead and 6 careful hours on the workbench, we are good to go.

Made the most of the disassembly to clean the factory shipping gunk out of it, replace / tune the springs, hone the friction points and re-oil.

Wasn't has hard as I thought overall. Runs pretty good on snap caps, probably make it to the range next weekend.

Pic includes the Blackhawk for the hell of it.

http://s1146.photobucket.com/user/echo899/slideshow/
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

For the benefit of future generations, was the new lever a drop in, or did it require some fitting? Congratulations!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great to hear.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
echo89

Post by echo89 »

You're right Harry, I was riding a workbench high and had to do some errands right after.

It dropped in. Even the pins fit perfectly at reinstall. The honing required followed a test fitting, though I would've used the stones regardless. The test fitting functioned the rifle just fine, but it had some extra (new) drag at the point where the locking bars dropped. I did not get to the point of using a layout or mark-up, because the first honing cleared it up.

The honing was on all friction points, including the engagement curve on the bolt end of the lever, except the pin holes: they were not reamed or cleaned up in any way.

Unfortunately, that means I can't tell you where the roughness was, but it was not severe, and probably would've worn it just fine.

EC
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

I did the same Swap, that you did, small for Large Lever.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4120

I didn't do any stoning, but operated the gun around 500 times, did the brake flush cleaning and relube, and then operated it, another 500 times.
It now is as Smooth as I could wish for.

Only Issue I had was, that somehow, the the rear of the hammer was pressing on the hammer strut/spring, making operation difficult.
I removed around 1/32" from the rear of the hammer, and then that problem was solved.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex