What to do... What to do?????

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: What to do... What to do?????

Post by GasGuzzler »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I can't swear to it, but I don't think extra barrel length makes the bullet twist any faster. I've heard great weeping and gnashing of teeth about the Rossi's slow twist rate on this forum, but the Winchester (Miroku) 92 isn't much better at 1:26 in the .44. I am also of the understanding that bullet stabilization is a bigger issue with heavier bullets, so I'm not sure it matters very much in a .357.
Because it WON'T twist faster (RPM) you need to run the bullet out of the tube at a higher velocity hence the extra barrel length coming into play for heavy .357 loads.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Ah, so, yes. And a point that I was missing - Higher forward velocity also produces higher spin velocity. How much does muzzle velocity increase for a heavy .357 bullet between 16 and 20 inches? Oh, and the Miroku .357 twist rate is 1:18.75.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

You are going to HATE this response but: it depends.

it will depend on the particular load in question (including variables of bullet weight, bullet construction, powder type and amount, primer type) may/will depend on the particular firearm in question (actual barrel diameter, possibly barrel material, internal barrel smoothness any internal constrictions (such as necked down spots caused by sights or other attachment or machined points) and barrel cleanliness especially with regards to leading or copper fouling.

Ballistics by the inch has started trying to run some experiments and are attempting to apply the scientific method to this question but their sample sizes both in terms of ammunition type and number of rounds fired and numbers of barrels tested are still woefully small and their conclusions IMO still leave a lot to be desired.

Here is an article that I've cited before that may give you some idea of some of the problem judging velocity of a given load vs. various firearms:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/ballisticians.htm
At the very end of the chart are some rifle numbers.

We've had several members post actual velocity numbers from their guns including different barrel lengths with the same ammunition and there is typically a gain from the longer barrels including the 24" over the 20 over the 16.

I've had this discussion before on a different board where a poster noted that after 16" there was no gain of velocity and I asked him what gave him that impression pulling published data out of a dozen reloading manuals which showed a general gain with longer barrels for both .357 and .44 Mag and even several of the less energetic calibers. Unless the pressure behind the bullet gets so low that the friction in the barrel starts slowing the bullet down you'll get some gain.
7.62 Precision

Post by 7.62 Precision »

With many loads there will be little to no gain in velocity over 15" or 16".

With other loads there can be. With hand loading, it can be tuned for barrel length. Keep in mind that most loads are designed for pistols. Much reloading data uses formulas instead of real-world tests. Real world tests comparing two different barrels can give faulty results. There have been tests done by cutting barrels that show basically no useful increase in MV over 15" or 16". But these were factory pistol loads. Also, there are now some specialty loads available that are built for rifles.

But it is really hard to give any good numbers until you test yourself. Barrel quality has varied over time as well in these rifles. To many factors to give a good answer, but most loads will not gain much with the 20" barrel, some will gain some. Pistol powders tend to be fast for short barrels.

I would expect .357 Mag to be able to gain more from longer barrels than .45 Colt, etc., generally.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

0-200 FPS in .357 depending on a lot of factors. Maybe more.

Depends
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

All good info, thanks!
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

Thanks for all the info. It was way more than I expected, but definitely interesting no doubt. I'm going by my LGS tomorrow to see if he has heard anything on when he might see one. I really want to hold out for the 20" barrel, I'm just getting antsy I guess!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Check these guys https://www.circlestarfirearms.com/c-45 ... ion=213628 first. They have a bunch of Rossis "in stock" but not sure if they actually have them or if websites updated at all

Id call them myself but im afraid if i find they actually do have what they say ill buy my fourth Rossi (or fifth!)
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GRV01 wrote:Check these guys https://www.circlestarfirearms.com/c-45 ... ion=213628 first. They have a bunch of Rossis "in stock" but not sure if they actually have them or if websites updated at all.
Thanks for the lead but view that site with care, their security certificate has expired and compromised.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ranch Dog wrote:
GRV01 wrote:Check these guys https://www.circlestarfirearms.com/c-45 ... ion=213628 first. They have a bunch of Rossis "in stock" but not sure if they actually have them or if websites updated at all.
Thanks for the lead but view that site with care, their security certificate has expired and compromised.
As has most government websites...