Safety is stuck...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Eric12

Safety is stuck...

Post by Eric12 »

Here is another one for you...

On the new rifle that I have earlier discussed here: http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5170 ... I noticed after the first range session that the safety toggle has become stuck. Thankfully its stuck in the 'fire' position, but I'd still like to get this resolved. Anyone have any ideas why this would be or how to go about fixing it? I dont want to remove it, because I dont want to have to plug it and ideally I would like to have the option of the safety if I ever need/want it.

Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Safety is stuck...

Post by akuser47 »

There is a ball detent inside it and if yours is new it very well could be grease from when it s packed in grease for shipping. Use non chlorinated break cleaner spray it down to remove oil grease dirt and gunk and re oil it see if it frees it up. Don't get it on your stock set.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
nvbirdman

Post by nvbirdman »

Is the hammer all the way down? Pull the hammer back a little bit and you can work the safety.
Eric12

Post by Eric12 »

Nope, nada, nothing.

Still completely locked up.
oley55

Post by oley55 »

I have been thinking about this and I wonder if the safety's detent ball has slipped or fallen out and the detent spring has become wedged in the detent opening.

just a wild thought
R92 .357 Mag, Case hardened, 24"
R92 .44 Mag, SS, 24"

“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” - Ronald Reagan -
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Might be that you will have to take it apart and figure it out. The big thing here is not to lose the little steel ball. You need to work where, if it falls, it won't bounce and take off. Same as it all comes apart, the ball is sitting on the end of a little spring and those two parts want out of that hole real bad.

When you put it back together, same applies. I lost two ball out of the six rifles I work on. I heard them hit the tile floor and I found them more than two years later in the strange place a long ways from where they were lost. Coat both the ball and spring with sticky, long term grease and it will keep them together as you put them back in.
Michael
yukondog

Post by yukondog »

When I take stuff like that apart I'll put it in a gallon zip lock bag, that way if it goes flying you don't loose it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

yukondog wrote:When I take stuff like that apart I'll put it in a gallon zip lock bag, that way if it goes flying you don't loose it.
That is a good idea but will require the butt stock to be removed.
Michael
Eric12

Post by Eric12 »

Im really at a loss. I can see the ball down in there and can actually depress it with a small punch... I am wondering if it came 'out of battery' somehow???

Either way, I probably wont take it apart.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that you can depress the ball, that is not the problem. I wonder if the pin is creating an issue. You might knock the pin out a bit, left to right, and see if it will rotate.

Here is what things look like when out. Not much to it at all.

The ball is stuck to the spring with grease. I use a flat blade screwdriver from a jeweler's set to depress the ball and spring so it can be seated in the hole in the bolt.
Michael