Saw my first Circuit Judge

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Saw my first Circuit Judge

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

pricedo wrote:One mans poison is another mans passion.
I wasn't positively impressed by the CJ that a friend had acquired and showed me at the range but sometimes first impressions are overrated.
If you like it and it does what you need anything else is academic.
Best of luck & enjoy your new CJ. :mrgreen:

Wow, true words, in my case my poison may be my passion........
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Judge on trial. My desire for my Circuit Judge to do all as advertised is what I want in a shooter. The Circuit Judge being an odd ball nothing like anything else requires special hand loads to be as accurate as I wish. Done. Also it needs to function as advertised, IT FAILED. Cylinder Rotation problems made me unhappy.
Study showed that a fired case no longer has a flat primer, I could see where the primers were catching in the back of the frame.
What to do, send it back, replace it, buy a lever action and a shotgun,,,I own a small machine shop, emery paper, crocus and some files, even a die grinder.
I did the unspeakable, I sanded, ground, filed, polished and blued, I loaded 5 spend rounds, the cylinder rotates nice. Took it all apart and cleaned and treated it with dignity.
Sunday Morning, the Judge got up on the stand, facing the Jury, (Propane cans 25 to 100 yds) 50 45 Colt (max charge), 50 410 shot shells reloaded in my Mec.
Alternating 5 Colts, 5 Shells. 5 Colts, 5 Shells, till all were gone, all but 10 double action, no misfires, never skipped a beat, NO mercy, I was ready to sell it, part it out, But his Honour spoke clear and truthful, all 100 round fired perfectly with me doing everything I could to push it to fail.
I don't recommend y'all take a file and grinder to your Judge, but my gamble paid off, the Judge gets to keep his hammer, I may even buy one of them new fangled Red Dot sites or something. NExt time I go on a Sunday, it will be to the Church of the Holy Target. +guns
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hah, that's how to make your case!
Michael
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Sounds like you were on the verge of a Mistrail. Lucky for you juror # 12 had some tools and went for broke. Sounds like case closed to me. :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Now I want a chrony, They ain't no published data for da Judge, I am calling my budies pawn
Shop every couple days,, Womot has a cheep one fur $50,,,,,,,,, dunno if it any good,,,,
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:Now I want a chrony, They ain't no published data for da Judge, I am calling my budies pawn
Shop every couple days,, Womot has a cheep one fur $50,,,,,,,,, dunno if it any good,,,,
It is probably a Shooting Chrony F1 so it would be good.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The CJ is going to have to experience some design improvements before I buy one.
And if people are buying them now that's not likely to happen as design changes are usually market driven (or cost driven like the 1964 changes to the Winchester 94 design).
The current issues (from my perspective) with the CJ are insurmountable by people with ordinary tools and skill-sets.
Most of us are equipped to modify or remove existing metal from a firearm but it is nigh near impossible for lay gun owners with the limited resources of a home shop environment to add metal.
I have a revolver carbine in the form of a Uberti 1873 rifled carbine in 45LC with a 18" barrel that is quite accurate & I wouldn't hesitate to draw down on a deer with it @ 50 yards or less.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

I am now posting because I have learned more about my loads.
Shooting with my 12.0 grns of HS6 and a 230grn JHP this week along with my pal and his 92 lever, I found my load in the Circuit Judge reaches out real good if you just aim a little bit high, 300 yards and so on.

Hodgdon says I am over max, Speer says its max. I find pro and con on the subject. I am NOT seeing pressure signs.
I am re loading today, shot shells and boowits +guns +guns +guns +guns
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 10 May 2013 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

pricedo wrote: Image

Thats a neat lookin shooter, and the only reason I would buy another Circuit Judge is when I wear mine out. Rossi says they fess up to the cylinder rotation issue and all new ones are fixed.