Saw my first Circuit Judge

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Saw my first Circuit Judge

Post by Ranch Dog »

Went to my FFL to pickup a Taurus 24/7 OSS and darned if he didn't have the CJ on the rack for $480. It had a good finish and the fit was very good. My only objection is the long cylinder length to accommodate the shotshells. If it was just a straight SAAMI length cylinder for the 45 Colt, I would have bought it just to have one. Saved by the long cylinder ;)

A new place in town opened late last week, Q-Rare-O Market, and I stopped there for the FFL paperwork for my R92 Scout Rifle. Very impressive display of new firearms including Henry, Marlin, and Rossi! Kind of scary for a guy like me that will buy an arm at the drop of a hat.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Saw my first Circuit Judge

Post by Warhawk »

Sounds like a dangerous place ... for my bank account! :lol:
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I am posting this as I am an old guy who hunts small game and shoots Colt 45 all summer.
I purchased my Circuit Judge over a year ago.
It shoots factory 410 #7 shot very well, by far my first choice for rabbit, quail, dove etc.
Factory 45 like Hornaday shoot much better than out of a side arm but not as good as lever action.
this Rossi 45/410 is spooky to those who have limited knowlege about revolvers.
And it is true that the bullet must jump a way to reach the barrel. Long cylendar.
This realy is not a big deal.
A good hand load will give you shocking results.
I am shooting a 4 inch group at the 100 yard range at Lee Kay Center using the factory sights.
I can and do hit a coffee can at 150 yards. I cannot hit it at 200.
I can and do shoot 1 inch groups free hand at the pistol range (25 yard).
My carefully reloaded ammo choice delivers these results.
Star line cases
CCI 300 primer
Lee Dies
Hodgdon HS6 (12.0 grains)
Xtreme 230 grain JHP .451 for 45 Colt
It is slow to reload and only hold 5 shots.
I have not chonographed this load, I want to. Its no 300 Win Mag.
I can tell you its shoots as good as factory loads in my pals Rossi lever action.
This gun fails misserably as a long range gun.
It will not shoot near as nice as your Beneli 12 ga.
But it weghts half as much, I love the factory sites, recoil is pleasant, hunting without ear plugs will not
Ring your ears.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

I should add. It took a few rounds to break it in.
Also, one can shoulder this gun very quickly and be ready to shoot, stay sited to without arm fatigue.
This gun is a blast for hunting.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum and I will look forward to hearing more about your shooting with the CJ.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

One mans poison is another mans passion.
I wasn't positively impressed by the CJ that a friend had acquired and showed me at the range but sometimes first impressions are overrated.
If you like it and it does what you need anything else is academic.
Best of luck & enjoy your new CJ. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I really need to look at one.... Thanks for the post Bibletotingunslinger! I was always told do you know what a handgun is for? To fight your way back to your rifle. So where does the CJ fall in the mix.... :?
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Well, hanks for all the posts here, to be fair and honest as I can, I got to shoot i't today
and I have noticed an issue. The. Gun is machined so that you cannot accidentally load
a 454 casul. , so if you don't trim your cases down real good the cyl e'ndar can hangup, this
is a real pain.
also I am kind of sick over how much I spent finding a good load.
Ibet $300,,,,,
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Bibletotingunslinger wrote:Well, hanks for all the posts here, to be fair and honest as I can, I got to shoot i't today
and I have noticed an issue. The. Gun is machined so that you cannot accidentally load
a 454 casul. , so if you don't trim your cases down real good the cyl e'ndar can hangup, this
is a real pain.
also I am kind of sick over how much I spent finding a good load.
Ibet $300,,,,,
Maybe a Rossi R92 levergun in 454 Casull IS your answer?
Lots of horsepower on the 454 end and you can shoot 45 LC ammo in it & plenty slick n'accurate after it's tuned-up.
Just a suggestion. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

I know what you mean about the lever actions, I too love em. In fact my second favorite action.
In fact, I like Revolvers, Levers, Falling Blocks and single shots(OLD STUFF),, +guns ,,,,,,,Sold my bolt actions, kick to hard,,,,too noisy.
In fact, all my nuther shooters got long tubes, are very heavy, and look real fancy,,,
I have Lever Action that shoots 3030 real well, a pre-64 by about 60 years. And it has absolutely no feeding issues, it was Grandpas.
My excuse for the Circuit Judge, is this.
I tend to get off the beatin path, and find my 410 best for small food items.
The 45s come in after I am done hunting and feel more of a need to reach out more
It works for me to carry one gun +corn
Seeing how this Judge performs next to my buddies lever action for long range, I like the Judge, it shoots close to the same and weighs in half.
I bet I could load the Lever to shoot much better though.
The big plus to his lever action with heavy octagon bbl is he can shoot bout any charge. The Circuit Judge has to have it just perfect or it mis-behaves.
With 410s the Circuit Judge is happy,shoots double action on bunnies real nice, with CCI Primers, RIOs swell and bind up the rotation.
I would really like to get ALL the bugs worked out. OR I will do as you say and carry a lever action, and a shot gun.
And the Judge has really cool sites that I can see through my floaters :?
Sure is fun yakin with yall!!!! :D I has been NRA Life Member for ????? :roll: I can't remember,,,sure nice to be with my own kind
IMG_2602.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 29 Apr 2013 14:21, edited 4 times in total.