Optics

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Chiefeis

Optics

Post by Chiefeis »

Rather than go to the range in the beautiful weather (75 yesterday, upper 50s today) I took care of stuff around the house. Oh well. To make my self feel better I took some pics of the CJ with the Barska 3-9x42 IR Sniper Scope I added a few months ago.

Boy, I'd sure like to shoot it with that scope. Maybe next weekend....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Optics

Post by Ranch Dog »

Nice compact scope!
Michael
SaltH2Odeprived

Post by SaltH2Odeprived »

First, that is a nice scope setup.

Since the topic is optics, I just changed the optics on my gun.
My CJ was setup with an EOTech XPS2 and a surefire light.
I bought the sight three years ago when I bought the gun. The rectical dot in the EOTech is 1 MOA at 100 yards. I soon discovered the CJ groups about 8 MOA at 100 yards, ok... a little overkill. The EOTech was chosen based on its military toughness and advertised ability to hold zero. Last fall, L3 settled a 25.6 million dollar lawsuit the US Government brought due to fraudulent claims, basically the sight zero is affected by temperature changes and the optic fogs and or rectical fades over time. My sight was already starting to fog in the center. Due to the lawsuit and possible consumer class action, L3 is offering a full reimbursement plus $15 shipping so I sent it back.
image.jpg
Now I needed to find another sight that would have the same night time capability as the EOTech.
Here is what I got. It is the Redfield Counterstrike. The optic dot is 4 MOA selectable to be red or green and adjustable 11 levels of brightness. Also, at the base of the mount, it has a red laser that is independent of the optic dot. The mount is pictany, to fit on the CJ weaver mount I had to file one of the rear slots wider.

With the previous setup I had the optic sighted with 45 colt at 100 yards, the point of impact when shooting 410 buckshot at close range was not centered with the sight.

With the new Redfield, I plan to sight-in the optic dot with 45 Colt and sight-in the laser with 410 buckshot at closer range.
The Redfield was on sale at Midway for only $130 shipped, the EOTech refund check was $557. Got enough left over I can get that green Chrimson Trace for my pistol :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Hadn't really heard about the fogging issue with the EOTech.
The fraud I had heard about was drift of zero over temp ranges from -40 to 140 F.
L3 acquired EOTech probably in large part because of the military contracts and their other government contracts are likely to been one of the big reasons for the settlement.

I hear Trijicon's ongoing issue is faulty seals.

Aimpoint's ongoing issue is price.
Chiefeis

Post by Chiefeis »

I'm leaning towards a red dot or EOTech sight for my HiPoint carbine. The longer effective range of the CJ is what led me to putting a rifle scope on it.

Plan on going to the range this weekend (finally). The CJ is really my wife's rifle, if we get it dialed in I'll post some pics of the results. Right now the plan is to zero at 50yds, but we'll see...
SaltH2Odeprived

I am still searching for the right magical reload ingredients to tighten up groups at 100 yards with CJ, have not found it yet. But now I have a 92 in 45 colt to handle longer range hunting, so I set up the CJ for night time varmit control and rabbit hunting.
SaltH2Odeprived

I spent some range time with the Redfield Counterstrike. Got the green dot sighted in with 45 colt at 50 yards and then late evening I sighted in the red laser with 410 buck shot at 25 yards. The point of aim is noticeably different, at 25 yards the red laser is about 6 inches above the green dot. I am very pleased with this setup, combined with the Surefire light it will be my go to gun for night varmints.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I have a eotech hhs with g33 magnifier and never a problem yet I guess I'll have to keep and eye on it pun intended.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!