Range Report 992CJ

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
DrDyno

Range Report 992CJ

Post by DrDyno »

Hi All,

This is my second post at Rossi-Rifleman. My first one was in RanchDog's thread in response to his concerns about some of the irregularities in his new CJ (45/410). I shared that my 22CJ also had a forcing cone of monstrous proportions but suggested some reasons why that may be OK. Well, took my new 22CJ to the range, today. It turned out to be a fun gun to shoot and, like most other reviews, gave me 2" - 2.5" groups at 50 yards, through my old and tired 2.5X Simmons scope. I think it could have done better and, next time, I'll give it a try with my Burris 3x-9X 40mm.

Now to the BAD NEWS: I had thought the barrel to cylinder clearance looked awfully close. I could barely see light through it when holding the rifle at eye level. This was with the 22 Magnum cylinder. And, sure enough, once it heated up it was impossible to close the cylinder with a new set of rounds in it. After the first cylinder load of 9-shots, it was hard to close. After the second set, it would NOT close. Exchanging the 22 Magnum cylinder for the 22 LR cylinder allowed me to continue shooting, as the 22 LR cylinder apparently had more clearance.

Got home from the range and called Braztech. After explaining the problem, they emailed me a FedEx label to print out and apologized for inconvenience. An hour later and my brandnew 992CJ was on its way to Hialeah, FL, for repairs.

This is my fourth Taurus product and... I have had problems with every single one of them, this being the third I returned for warranty service. I really like the feel and style of the Circuit Judge and, if it comes back without issues, I may keep it. However, I will NOT buy another Taurus product.

Regards,

John G.
St. Petersburg, FL
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Range Report 992CJ

Post by Ranch Dog »

DrDyno wrote:This is my fourth Taurus product and... I have had problems with every single one of them, this being the third I returned for warranty service. I really like the feel and style of the Circuit Judge and, if it comes back without issues, I may keep it. However, I will NOT buy another Taurus product.
Bummer, that would probably do it for me!
Michael
DrDyno

Alls Well That Ends Well....

Post by DrDyno »

Thought I should post the disposition to this thread...

I got my 992CJ back, last week. I haven't been to the range yet but, it looks like they squared the end of the barrel to the cylinder. :D Although I can't find my old set of feeler gauges, the clearance looks to be about half the thickness of a business card and uniformly squared. So, I'm confident it will be fine and, unless it's not, I'll just end this thread here. Assuming its accuracy hasn't suffered, I plan to keep it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looking forward to hear how it shoots. I'm thinking about taking my 44 Mag off the consignment rack as the dealer said there has not any interest in the rifle. I might as well shoot it, just haven't had time to get over to Victoria.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I hope it checks out on the range for you sorry to hear about your taurus issues good luck please report in with your results so we can see how it goes.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!