CJ Deer Hunting Ammo

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

CJ Deer Hunting Ammo

Post by retAFShooter »

I can't seem to search "hunting ammo" so I will post the question:
What deer hunting ammo do you guys recommend for the CJ in .44 magnum? In MD it needs to meet the muzzle energy of 1200 ft/lbs and cannot be FMJ. I have bought some Hornady 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution® that meets the specs. Any other recommendations?
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Deer Hunting Ammo

Post by Ranch Dog »

If the Hornady shoots well is should work. I'm not a fan of the FTX but that is me. I would tend to favor a jacketed bullet with a large exposed lead core. Something like this Winchester 240-grain JSP.
Michael
Chiefeis

Post by Chiefeis »

retAFShooter wrote:I can't seem to search "hunting ammo" so I will post the question:
What deer hunting ammo do you guys recommend for the CJ in .44 magnum? In MD it needs to meet the muzzle energy of 1200 ft/lbs and cannot be FMJ. I have bought some Hornady 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution® that meets the specs. Any other recommendations?
Where are you finding the specs on handgun rounds fired from the longer carbine barrel? Not ready to take the CJ deer hunting, but a good source of that info would be great.
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

I haven't found any written specs for "handgun rounds fired from the longer carbine barrels" but one guy did tell me that he used his own chronograph to spec his rifle with a handgun round.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

If the ammo meets the requirement from a pistol and I think that's where the Hornady spec comes from then it should surely meet or exceed the listed spec out of the CJ. Conventional wisdom (for what that's worth) say something like 100 fps for each inch of barrel either longer or shorter. Most of that data, however was derived using pretty much one load, in one barrel. I've never seen any articles where it was done with more than one caliber or more than one load in a given caliber and I haven't seem any articles on the subject at all recently.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

The only comparisons I ever did was was a Ruger Vaquero compared to my Rossi CJ shooting the same factory ammo. The CJ was about 100 to 150 fps faster, With factory ammo I find the Lever Gun ammo is better in my CJ. Mine is 45 Colt though.

But I don't shoot much Factory Stuff +corn
Last edited by Bibletotingunslinger on 10 Dec 2015 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Don't know if I can post a video via Tapatalk.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Looks like you did fine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Well I was ready with my .44 magnum CJ and some 240 gr 1550 fps Buffalo Bore ammo (Hornady 225gr Leverevolution backup) on Saturday. My son and grandson and I went out to Wicomico Demonstration State Forest on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Unfortunately, none of us even saw a deer. My son speculates it was too warm because it was in the 60s during the daytime, 40s in the night.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Like the pictures. Is that a camera mounted to the scope? Did you end up Loctiting down your mount screws?
Michael