Cracked Stock

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

Cracked Stock

Post by retAFShooter »

Well, it finally happened, been worried about this happening for quite a while. Ever since I had to replace the broken stock bolt stopper last fall. I was shooting it yesterday at the range but didn't notice it until I stated to clean it this morning.

Hopefully this will be covered by my "lifetime warranty?" from Davidson's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Cracked Stock

Post by Archer »

I'm going to say I think there's something not quite fundamentally right about the Circuit Judge's stocks.
I've seen at least one guy come NIB with a stock cracked up worse than that.
This seems to be a bit too common and possibly these stocks need some additional support elements incorporated into the design to help prevent splitting like this.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

When I took my 44 Mag back to the dealer, for something else, the stock had a hairline radiating out from the top edge of the tang.

Sorry dude…
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Sorry to see that please keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

My CJ has been at Rossi for 4 weeks come this Monday, for repairs/replacement. No estimate of when It will be back.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Not good...
Michael
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

I've been thinking a lot about how this crack could have happened. I'm pretty sure it did not happen while firing the rifle. I surely would have noticed it handling it on the bench and then when putting it away in the soft rifle case I normally use. So I think this happened in the back of my SUV in the soft case. That design of the pistol grip makes the gun susceptible to this part taking too much stress. When laying the case down on on it's side with the butt end first creates more stress. I also sometimes put other rifle cases on top of it with the CJ laying on the butt and barrel and no support in the middle. I think that is how the crack could have happened. So, when I get this CJ back, I'm going to look into the possibility of a HARD CASE. What do you guys think? If I keep using the soft case, I'll have to be much more gentle with it and be aware of the fragility of this rifle.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think the most likely cause of the crack is under recoil. This has been an issue with the CJ. They need to straighten the stock frame, make it more like a rifle tang and redesign the stock.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I think you nailed it rd, look at how it attaches to the frame or tang. Then look at the angle of the stock. Lateral stress on that weak point just from holding it by that point not alone shooting it. It's to bad they didn't get at least 10000 of these rifles into the market because then maybe hogue would make something for it.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

While they can give more support even hard cases can apply a minor twist to a stock that can result in cracking. I've had this issue at least once.