Well, you cannot call me a quitter!

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Well, you cannot call me a quitter!

Post by Ranch Dog »

DrDyno wrote:I am not looking for a fight here. I really have no investment either way. I just think Taurus/Rossi came up with the most expedient way to safely market their wares, experimented with it, found out the bullet wasn't slowed enough to make it ineffective, the accuracy was acceptable for a carbine plinker and... they're manufacturing it to meet that criteria
Greetings John, welcome to the forum and thank you for your assessment of this carbine. I tended to look at it as against my other rifles chambered in 44 Mag and 45 Colt, two of each, and felt it was coming up short in all measurable aspects in that comparison. I will enjoy hearing more about your rifle and your activities!
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I shot the ammo I loaded for the SCJ44 in my R92 yesterday. It shot 200 FPS faster. This...

... makes a huge difference! The R92 does have 1.5" more barrel but barrel length is not influencing the difference, that huge freebore really robs the performance.
Michael
FourFingersofDeath

Post by FourFingersofDeath »

That's a shame, we are not allowed to own semi autos here (unless you get a special feral game culling license/whatever and then it cannot be used for general hunting, just licensed culling operations). I was thinking that the 22LR or 22Mag would make great spotlighting rifles and give me waht is virtually a semi auto rifle, especially after rabbits, etc in vineyards and orchards as the rows need a rifle with a quick follow up shot. I guess it is back to the drawing board with the old Browning pump action that I bought some years ago.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There is a couple of reviews of the 22RF rifle on TaurusArmed.net by others that really look at a rifle and measure the performance. It is very disappointing as the forcing cone end of the barrel will swallow an entire 22 cartridge until it drops completely out of sight.

I've been a Taurus fan for quite a while and have become a Rossi Nut, no doubt. Braztech could make better use of their resources elsewhere.
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

i'm sorry to hear that the CJ did'nt work out for you, it seem's like a neat concept for a rifle. man that's a long throat, sounds like they should go back to the drawing board with that one.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

izzyjoe wrote:i'm sorry to hear that the CJ did'nt work out for you, it seem's like a neat concept for a rifle. man that's a long throat, sounds like they should go back to the drawing board with that one.
Braztech has no confidence in their machining of this arm and the action's ability to accurately index the cylinder. With your forearm extend near the cylinder gap, they don't want to experience the bullet striking an off center forcing cone. I'm not sure why they want to compromise their reputation with revolvers, which is very good, with this product.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:
izzyjoe wrote:i'm sorry to hear that the CJ did'nt work out for you, it seem's like a neat concept for a rifle. man that's a long throat, sounds like they should go back to the drawing board with that one.
Braztech has no confidence in their machining of this arm and the action's ability to accurately index the cylinder. With your forearm extend near the cylinder gap, they don't want to experience the bullet striking an off center forcing cone. I'm not sure why they want to compromise their reputation with revolvers, which is very good, with this product.
The revolver rifles can't be that hard to build.
My Uberti Cattleman 1873 revolving carbine in 45 LC hasn't misfired in 2 or 3 hundred rounds & it's dead on accurate. +guns
If Rossi can't design a revolving carbine then copy the Cattleman just like they did with the 92.
They seem to be a lot better at copying than designing.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by AhnkoChee »

Thanks for the detailed review, you have convinced me to scratch the CJ44 off my bucket list.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Yeah, it's too bad. The CJ44 is the only CJ that interested me.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

mine gets mostly used with 410ga. But having a good 45 load that I made makes very envious
of you who live where you can hunt pig.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.