Trying to find the right scope for my CJ

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
retAFShooter

Trying to find the right scope for my CJ

Post by retAFShooter »

I had an unused little NCStar 4x32 that I tried so far:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410000099.006786.jpg
Although it worked ok after I reversed the quick release, I'm not liking the short eye relief. It is giving me a little blowback/powder sting on my left cheek. I'm going to try a little longer scope, a Bushnell.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/RetAFShooter
paperboy

Re: Trying to find the right scope for my CJ

Post by paperboy »

I have two sights that I use at different times. I use a Truglo red dot TG8380BN and a long eye relief scope Hi-Lux Optics LER27X32. Mount them as far forward on the rail as possible.

The Truglo is good as a heads up sighting system with both eyes open when the gun is used as a shot gun. I only shoot trap/skeet. I don't actually hunt.

I used the scope for distance targets when using the gun as a rifle.

I use the Sight Mark magnetic bore laser to help sight them in.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I used the Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 (71-1545) but still had powder hitting me. I think it is just the cost of shooting the CJ as it happened with the open sights as well. There is only so much you can move aft on the stock. I even had a particle of burnt powder penetrate my lip. I had a fat lip that hurt like heck of a couple of days.
Michael
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

I'm going to also try a Bushnell next: "Bushnell Banner Scope 1.75-4x 32mm Circle-X Reticle Matte"

Why can't I attach an image to this post?
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

I have tried the Bushnell Scope 1.75-4x 32mm on the CJ. Three things I didn't like. First the eye relief is only about 4", at least on my scope. So my face is too close to the cylinder. Placing the scope back as far as possible on the rail to get my face away from the blast partially blocks the space between the hammer and my thumb. Lastly, this is a fairly large scope and makes this small rifle look and feel top heavy.

The long eye relief (8-13") HiLux scope is overall smaller amd when placed as far forward on the rail as possible does not block the space between my thumb and hammer. With the LER scope, my eye can be well back from the cylinder blast. One more advantage is that the LER scope is a lot easier to use with my bifocal glasses.
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Can you give me the model number of that HiLux scope? Is that a rifle scope or a pistol scope?
retAFShooter

Post by retAFShooter »

Ok, here is the Bushnell that I zeroed in today. I must agree with @paperboy it does look and feel top heavy on that small rifle. I also experienced the power sting. I don't know what I'm going to do, I may even go back to that shorter, tactical scope seen above. Shooting the CJ with this larger scope off hand could be very awkward for me at my age.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paperboy

Post by paperboy »

The Hi-Lux Optics long eye reief scope is the LER27X32. There is a good review of this scope on youtube at It was formerly known as the Leatherwood scope. They must have been acquired by Hi-Lux. If the link to youtube doesn't work, just search " Leatherwood long eye relif scope". The guy actually has two videos on this pasticular scope. Both are informative.

This is not a pistol scope which has a LER of 20", too long for this rifle. The LER for this scope is 8-13" range. So if you place the scope well forward on the rail, that puts the ocular just forward of the hammer and out of the way of your thumb. Plus you can keep your eye from 8-13 inches behind that depending on your most comfortable head position and well away from the cylinder blast.

The scope is smaller than the Bushnell and I think it makes the rifle look really sporty. If you really want to get your head back further, get the Truglo red dot sight. No magnification but greatly improved accuracy with both eyes open and well back fom the cylinder.