circuit judge 22

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
evanbly

circuit judge 22

Post by evanbly »

I've found this forum very helpful in understanding Rossi and my Circuit Judge 22. But it is looking like I may be the only one on this forum with a Circuit Judge 22. Unless someone emerges from past threads it appears that I may become the definitive expert of the judge 22 on the Forum. This is hilarious in that I may be the most ignorant person on this forum.

I've started this thread as a means of smoking out any other judge 22 owners with information. Once I actually get the gun I'll be reporting my progress.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: circuit judge 22

Post by akuser47 »

I see nothing wrong with being the only one with the cj 22 you will be our cj22 braintrust. Def. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Akuser;

Thank you--I like the sound of "brain trust." It's sort of like the wizard of OZ--I just got a brain. I'm impotent now....

And I will do my first scout work diligently, if strangely. I'm not much into forums, but this one is very nice, gracious, diverse, and informative. So I'll be here for a while, reporting in on various fronts.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

You never know where something like this will lead you. I had only the Rio Grande 4570 when I started this forum and I simply wanted a place where I could discuss the rifle and learn about it without someone telling me (who had never owned a Rossi) what a piece of junk it was. Now look, a forum with almost 900 members and I've owned 19 different Rossi's but have sold six of them.
Michael
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Got it today. Darn near fainted. Oh Joy!

This gun gets a solid A for design. This design is so retro, and yet so contemporary that it defies classification--it is an independent.

I haven't shot the gun, yet, but I hauled it down to the park for the old-guys talk, and showed it to my friends. Cool looking, was the general consensus.

I went in the face of what is believed regarding the Rossi 22/22mag rifle revolver. I thought the attempt was worth. But there's also this. When the independent reviews came out, Rossi pulled this gun from production. There are not that many out there.

A number of reviewers have noted how filthy Rossi products have been. Mine was clearly greased and dirty, but my attitude is "good." I like to wash a car before I buy it, and I like to clean a gun before I try it out.

I'm not sure when I'll get to spend time with the gun, but my big question will be one of accuracy. I don't mind diminished power--but I do mind diminished accuracy. I'll be shooting this on my back porch, and comparing it to my Henry lever-action.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Def. Keep us posted.
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Akuser;

Nope, not yet, haven't shot the gun. I'm pretty busy right now and besides, I'm still recovering from the transaction to buy a rifle.

The internet is a marvelous thing, and I did well in the price of this gun. But then again, I think of the guy trying to make a living at the grassroots level and I'm almost ashamed. Almost, but not quite. I offered the local guy a reasonable profit and he refused.

Buying the gun was an interesting process; doing the bid thing, getting an FFL dealer to accept delivery, doing a background check.

In my young days, a background check was the dealer calling my old man and asking if it was OK that I buy the 16 gauge I had been lusting after.

This time I had to fill out a page of yes/no questions. Most of which confused me to no end. Was I "non-Hispanic?" And then, what race was I? Was I black? Was I white? Holy moly a box just for white folks.

And then all the other questions that were pertinent to owning a gun today. Are you under psychiatric care, have you ever been under psychiatric care, are you a felon, Do you lie??? (That last one was mine, har har.)
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

On Sunday I dismantled the Rossi, cleaned everything, oiled it down and put it away. On Monday I did the first shoot.

The shoot was not extensive; 18 rounds, short range (40 feet), Winchester 700FPS shot. My primary interests were accuracy and power.

Three of 9 shots were in the center 1"; the other 6 shots were grouped in the 2-4" range. These were hand-held shots and since I am not a great shot I suspect the slop was mostly operator error.

The backdrop for the shooting was 1/4" plywood and every shot made a clean hole through the wood.

I had no problems with cylinder rotation and I like the trigger action. One friend did not like the pressure it takes to operate the gun in single action, but I prefer a bit of pressure. In single action the trigger has a nice smooth pull.

In subsequent testing I'll be trying the very low (300fps) shot just to see if it clears the barrel. I'll also be trying out standard long-rifle and magnum shot. And I'll start checking out distance shots. I'm hoping to compare all testing with the heritage revolver and the Henry lever action. All of this will take time.

Over-all, I'm pleased with the gun. If I had not read all the adverse criticism I would have said that there is nothing wrong with the Circuit Judge 22. It seems reasonably accurate and powerful and it didn't burn the hair off my forearm.

I suspect that most of you on this forum are far better informed than I am when it comes to gun knowledge. As I noted earlier, I am a plinker and I'd say this is a fun plinker gun.

My only reservation, so far, is that the gun is too expensive for its fit and finish. I knew that going into the purchase and bought the gun anyway because I believe it is a collector's item: it's novel, it had a very short run, there are not many out there. And besides, It's fun to shoot.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Good info
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

evanbly wrote:......................
In subsequent testing I'll be trying the very low (300fps) shot just to see if it clears the barrel.....

Are you referring to the Colibri "cap loads"? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you experience. Take a good solid hardwood dowel or soft brass rod with you. ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!