circuit judge 22

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
evanbly

Re: circuit judge 22

Post by evanbly »

Mr. Surveyor;

I've been using the Aguila 22 Super Colibri, long rifle, 20 grain, no gunpowder bullet. In my Heritage revolver the shot sounds like a BB gun. I've not tried this load in my Henry but I'm willing to give it a run in the Rossi thinking that the magnum barrel may be a bit more forgiving of a slow moving bullet. On the other hand, the oversized cone of shame may slow the bullet to a stop.

Good advice on the dowel.

Also, in looking around at different bullet possibilities I ran across 22s loaded with shot. I've never used shot in a 22 but the possibility made me wonder: How do you suppose the oversized cone would handle a load of shot?
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

shooting the shot shells in a rifled "longer barrel" will most likely NOT give you the desired performance, unless the barrel has been worn down to almost "smooth bore". First, your shot pattern will most likely be in the shape of a poorly made donut. Secondly, with good rifling in the longer barrel, you will probably be scrubbing some lead.

JD
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

JD;

Thank you for the information. I've never tried shot in a rifle and, after your explanation, I never well. I am determined, still, to run a low powered round through the Rossi--if the round makes it though the barrel it probably be the quietest gun in the neighborhood.
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

And so. I've been shooting this gun and find it delightful. I think I had expectations based on the reports of people who really know their guns and have high expectations regarding power and accuracy. As a plinker I find this gun very satisfactory.

I suspect that this gun would have had a bigger following if it had been advertised as a de-tuned plinker--a gun for beginners and people who want a distinctive, cool-looking, fun, easy to shoot gun.

I had used the Henry lever action as my fun gun, but the Rossi is funner (that's not a word, but you know what I mean). I particular like the double action.

I like this gun so much that I'm in the process of purchasing a Taurus 992, 6", stainless revolver. My fun revolver has been the Heritage with the 22 and magnum cylinders. But the double action Rossi moved me to a double action revolver.

I haven't tried the low power Calibre in the Rossi, and I may not. Or maybe I well. I've thinking about it.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

evanbly wrote:...but the Rossi is funner (that's not a word, but you know what I mean). I particular like the double action.
Heck yeah "funner" is a word, just ask my grandson (the young fellow pictured to the right). If he say's it so, it is!

Nothing like be satisfied with a purchase and I'm glad that it has worked out well for you. I will be looking for that report on the Taurus 992 as well ;)
Michael
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

And so, I've been away for a while. I've been actively looking for duel chambered 22 revolvers that offer the luxury of shooting everything from primer powered, to shorts, longs, long rifle, and magnum shot. What brought me to this forum was the Rossi Circuit Judge 22.

I've been very happy with the gun. It doesn't have the power that everyone expected and received some really devistating reviews, and was finally pulled from the market. I've found it a delightful gun.

One question I had with Rossi was whether I could shoot the low powered Calibri, 300 Ft per sec shot. The general theory is that such a low powered shot might lodge in the barrel. Nope. The barrel of the Rossi accommodates the mag shell and so is just a hair bigger in diameter, just enough to allow the low powered round to exit. So, I can sit on my back porch and plink at the sound level of the bb gun. Sweet. And if I feel like it, I can load up with the magnum and go hunting.

Since the Rossi I have also purchased the Taurus Tracker 22 with convertible cylinders. This is a serious gun for match and hunting. Its quality exceeds the Rossi. It is also insanely heavy for a 22--too heavy for me.

I also have the Heritage 22/22 mag and it is more comfortable for me than the Taurus. And, more recently, I've run across the North American Arms revolvers with convertible cylinders. These are complete contrasts to the Taurus, super light and designed for carry. I purchased one with a 4 inch barrel and was blown away by the quality of the of the gun. I've just ordered a 2nd NAA gun and one of the two will be my point-and-shoot gun.

Anyway, I'm now booked. I have a rifle and several revolvers that take the same ammo, ammo that comes in power from almost nothing to quite explosive. I may have the world's best collection of conversion cylinder 22 arms.

I'll be keeping the rifle, one of the NAAs, and either the Taurus or the Heritage. Those three guns take me from by bed, to the OK corral and to the hunt. Nicely booked.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Been wondering where you were evanbly!
evanbly wrote:I've been very happy with the gun. It doesn't have the power that everyone expected and received some really devistating reviews, and was finally pulled from the market. I've found it a delightful gun.
So, Rossi has dropped the SCJ22LR22M? I've noticed it is still one of the firearms featured in the rotating banner on the RossiUSA website. Of course another picture has that dude with the Wizard and the pronghorn which was dropped as well. Pulling up the SCJ22LR22M product page I saw that the MSRP was $720, that's some kind of crazy!
Michael
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

I may be wrong about Rossi pulling the Circuit Judge 22 from production, but I don't think so. The only ones I've seen are residuals from the first run.

It's hard getting information on something like this. I also think that things may be a bit shook up at Taurus/Rossi; my understanding the Mark Kresser, the Taurus CEO who turned the company around, has been replaced after a stock acquisition take over. We live in an ever-shifting universe.
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

When you get a moment, you might want to check out the Nagant. It was a Russian revolver that had a cylinder that shifted with the cock and eliminated the flash. Neat stuff and way ahead of its time.