revolt

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
evanbly

revolt

Post by evanbly »

I am amazed that you Rossi folks don't revolt. Guns that don't work to billed performance? Parts that can't be obtained? I am late to the story but I do have an interest.

I purchased a 22/22mag revolver that is a delight. I like the 22 caliber and like the range of power involved within the 22 range. So, I started looking for a matching rifle and found the Rossi Circuit Judge 22/22mag. I was hot to trot to buy one and started looking at the reviews.

At first, the reviews were generic: Rossi is coming out with a neat new product, the product looks cool, etc. Walmart, Cebela's, Academy, and just about every major retailer started carrying the gun.

But then independent reviews started noting the shortcomings: the mag only shoots at half power, the 22 long rifle only shoots at 22 short power. Not good. Indeed, Cebela's and Academy reviews pretty much say it all--don't buy one. Soon after such reviews started showing up. Rossi discontinued the gun.

One reviewer on the web says that he wrote Rossi and wanted his money back; according to the reviewer he was told that the un operated as designed--end of story. I don't think we would take this kind of abuse from a domestic gun maker and I certainly don't think we should take it from a non-domestic producer.

Even after the reviews I still wanted a Rossi Circuit Judge 22. I thought that maybe I could buy a barrel from another model, re-cone the barrel and have the gun as it should be. That's when I found out that Rossi doesn't sell parts in the U.S. Outrageous.

I am really disappointed with this state of affairs. I thought the Rossi Circuit Judge was a conceptual masterpiece. Instead, it appears to be a flop. Even worse, the company does not appear willing to address the issue. It seems to me that a company with any integrity would initiate a recall and make the gun right.

Well, I got that out of my system and I feel better now. I hope I haven't offended anyone (other than Rossi).

eb
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: revolt

Post by Ranch Dog »

evanbly wrote:I am amazed that you Rossi folks don't revolt. Guns that don't work to billed performance? Parts that can't be obtained? I am late to the story but I do have an interest.
Welcome to the forum evanbly! The best form of "revolt" for a consumer is not to buy the product. I've owned a CJ in both 44 Mag and 45 Colt, it was the shortest period of firearm ownership I've ever had. I too liked the concept and it is a real shame that Rossi did not put their revolver building experience to use. That said, my favorite conceal carry handgun of the three dozen handguns I own is the simple R35102, the 2" barreled 38 Spl.
Michael
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Ranchdog;

I agree, the pocketbook is the target. Unfortunately one person boycotting a product is not going to do much good. A letter from a herd of people to the Federal Trade Commission might get some action. But the trick is not to break Rossi but to bend Rossi to listen to reason--it is not reasonable to stiff people.

So, here's the dream. Rossi watches this and other forums and, as an enlightened corporate structure, realizes that some bad blood is happening. Rossi does a voluntary recall on Circuit Judge 22. The recall could be done through Rossi dealers and will probably not hurt too bad because a lot of people may like the gun as it is, a lot of people might like the look of the gun on their wall, and a lot of people might view the gun as a rare collectable.

The guns returned to the dealership could be returned to Rossi at full cost. Or maybe Rossi would allow the dealers to keep the guns at half the price and let them keep and sell the guns at half the current price--about what they are worth--without subsequent warranty of any sort.

Such a process would be a pain, but it would also be a powerful sign of good will.

Well, time to wake up and get to work.

Hope this finds you well and in good spirits.
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Hold on there! I find the Rossi experiment compelling. [edited… Ranch Dog] I'm going to get me a 22/22mag revolver rifle.

Many reviews point out that this Rossi is not a good hunting or marksman vehicle. However, for plinckerss, this is a cool gun. I'm a plincker. I like to sit on my back porch and target practice. I use low-powered ammo and have a good old time. I can take a garbage gun, learn its characteristics and figure out how to hit the target. Then, have a friend over, let him miss everything, and I'm golden.

Also, this gun is a piece e of history--a failed piece, but there. And there's this; this gun is so bad that the manufacturer pulled it off the market after the first independent reviews showed up. this could be a collectors item!

So, I'm going for one. Obviously, I have more dollars than sense.
Last edited by Ranch Dog on 27 May 2014 11:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited langage content!
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

So, I just bought one, on line--saved $125 from what my local shop was attempting to extract. So now, I'm sitting by the phone, waiting for my local FFL dealer to give me a call.

I know that some of you may think me a fool. Yes, I understand this is not the greatest hunting rifle, and I know that this is not a marksman's gun. This is a plinker's gun, and I'm there. Yes, I'm a plinker.

And there's this. This gun was an experiment, one that lasted until the first independent reviews--at which point the gun was pulled off the market. I suspect that this is a collectors item--a worthy attempt at a retro that did not work.

I've noticed that on-line sellers have taken one of two approaches. Some are dumping the merchandise. Some are sticking to their guns, holding the max price. I got mine on line at $125 less than my local dealer was willing to go.

So now, I'm sitting by the phone, waiting for my local FFL dealer to tell me that my ship is in. It's all good. eb
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I still see mixed likes and dislikes concerning the rifle, it all boils down to how the freebore cut into the barrel ahead of the forcing cone affects you use. I really like the design concept.
Michael
Moon Tree
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Moon Tree »

I think Ruger should make one and call it Judge Goshawk. Sure it would cost twice as much as the CJ, but it would be 5x greater quality. I'd buy one; especially if it were in a 38/357 cal. :D
Life isn't about the toys you accumulate, but about the memories your create with those toys and friends.
evanbly

Post by evanbly »

Moon Tree:

Good naming. And yes, I could see another maker doing the job right. I had thought that Heritage might be able to do the job right and I emailed the suggestion--they are not interested. It could very well be that there is no satisfactory way to make a rifle revolver. And I do give Rossi points for at least making the effort.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I do know that you want to be careful when hunting with one from an enclosed blind. You want the cylinder completely outside the blind at the shot!
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Now that's an interesting thought.