Traded into a Circuit Judge

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Traded into a Circuit Judge

Post by Ranch Dog »

My FFL is going to be handling a number of transactions for me over the next couple of weeks, thinning the herd so to speak, and I traded him one rifle that will be leaving for a Circuit Judge. I figured it would give me something else to test my patience on, if nothing else. Actually been reading up on them since I first saw and handled one and they seem like a typical Rossi, the users like them and those that have not shot them have little good to say about them. My customer comments have also peaked my curiosity a bit.

Several at the dealer but the one with the "tiger stripe" grain in the wood tickled my fancy. I have a very nice Bushnell Banner 2.5X22 with very clear Japanese glass from the early '70s. Been looking for a rifle to wear it and will start with it on the CJ for my load testing.

The bullets on the loaded cartridges are my TLC454-290-RF and that is what will be exiting the barrel in the next couple of days.
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Circuit Judge.......animal?........vegetable? ........or gun

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:My FFL is going to be handling a number of transactions for me over the next couple of weeks, thinning the herd so to speak, and I traded him one rifle that will be leaving for a Circuit Judge. I figured it would give me something else to test my patience on, if nothing else. Actually been reading up on them since I first saw and handled one and they seem like a typical Rossi, the users like them and those that have not shot them have little good to say about them. My customer comments have also peaked my curiosity a bit.

Several at the dealer but the one with the "tiger stripe" grain in the wood tickled my fancy. I have a very nice Bushnell Banner 2.5X22 with very clear Japanese glass from the early '70s. Been looking for a rifle to wear it and will start with it on the CJ for my load testing.

The bullets on the loaded cartridges are my TLC454-290-RF and that is what will be exiting the barrel in the next couple of days.
What ever it is, it has nice rich dark-veneer wood furniture & equally nice black satin bluing..........an odd looking contraption.........looks more like a piece of modern art created by Picasso's redneck cousin from Kentucky than a gun. :D
But the proof is in the shootin, not the lookin...........how does it shoot? :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Circuit Judge.......animal?........vegetable? ........or

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:But the proof is in the shootin, not the lookin...........how does it shoot? :mrgreen:
Well, I haven't shot it yet. Brought it home in a thunderstorm and it is still getting with it. Tomorrow I'm helping my dad with some work on his deck but I hope to pull the trigger tomorrow afternoon.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Traded into a Circuit Judge

Post by Ranch Dog »

Finished my chores late this afternoon and went up to the range just before dark with some starting loads of H110 (18.0-grains). I really just wanted to check the actual POI after bore sighting the scope prior to doing all my actual load work. Not bad, windage was centered and each shot responded well to the appropriate turret movement. Shots 1 through 3, adjusting elevation between the shots, where at 25-yards to the center bullseye. Moved the target out to 50-yards and shot 4 and 5 at the lower right bullseye. It was dark by then and was happy with the 1 1/2" high at 50-yards, that will be a good starting point for my load work. This shooting doesn't mean much but left/right is very consistent and elevation responds appropriately to elevation changes. I'm looking forward to working with this rifle.
CJ4510_1st_target.jpg
I also slugged the bore/groove and it is .443"/.451: I can push my TLC454-290-RF, sized .454", through that long cylinder with a wooden dowel. Same thing with with the forcing cone so I think that I will continue to shoot a .454" bullet. I'm going to work with H110 and Lil' Gun and respect the CIP standard for the 45 Colt, 16.0K PSI.

The rifle with the scope weighs exactly 6#. I suspect that after the load work I will need to kill a hog with this unique rifle!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
dpe.ahoy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by dpe.ahoy »

They won't win a beauty contest, but I'm watchin this one. I handled one at the candy store and thought it was interesting, odd, but interesting. The scope looks like a perfect match for the rifle, I've got a bunch of 2.5 power Weavers and other brands that I like on shorter range rifles. Good luck with the testing. By the way, how do you like the way it handles? DP
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dpe.ahoy wrote: By the way, how do you like the way it handles?
So far so good. Compact, light weight, so it has all the right stuff.Two ladies have seen the rifle and they both have wanted to handle it, I notice stuff like that. Even with my 290-grain bullet, SAAMI/CIP max loads aren't much. Coupled with the recoil pad this might make a good youth/lady whitetail hunter. Ballistics are not impressive on paper but deer and hogs I've shot with the cartridge all fold up. Here are the numbers from my TMT software:

I do wish it had a true 45 LC cylinder without the shot shell stuff but that isn't going to happen. I wanted to wait for the 44 Mag but it is in Braztech dreamland and we all know how that works. With my calculating mind, I did stuff a 444 Marlin into the cylinder so it all ready has me thinking a bunch of strange thoughts about occupying all that airspace :twisted: If nothing else may be some brass shotshells.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I thought I would also add some stuff from the Owner's Manual concerning ammo. Of course, Braztech says no handloads which just about every manufacturer harps on. It also goes on to say that they recognize only the SAAMI +P loads; 38 Spl, 38 Super Auto, 45 ACP, and 9mm Luger. They do not recognize anything else that claims to be +P or +P+. Finally, the only Rossi models approved for SAAMI +P loads are those chambered in 38 Spl.
Michael
Pepe Ray
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Pepe Ray »

Hi R,D,
You're entering an area of passing interest to several folks. I'm well acquainted with that 'excess space in the chamber' that you mentiioned.
I got one of the single shot Rossi's a few years back. One of the 45Colt/.410 shotgun. The Colt accuracy was unimpressive to say the least.
I expected as much. The long leap of boolet to rifeling must be eliminated. 444's and brass .410's are an improvement but to really close the gap
you must reform some 9.3x74R. P.M. to follow.
Pepe Ray
Salvation is ONLY through JESUS.
Freedom is ONLY through ETERNAL VIGILANCE and SACRIFICE.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Very impressive data RD & data layout on the Circuit Judge range report.
I see that you are a firm believer in the scientific method.
I have several ballistics programs installed on my various desktops & laptops ........RSI Lab, Lee Shooter, Sierra Infinity 16, Remington Shoot & a Barnes Ballistics as well as a very modernistic looking RCBS AmmoMaster Chronograph collecting dust in a corner but have never used them.
You'd expect more from a engineer. One word explanation.......LAZINESS :oops: .
I had an Oehler chronograph (it got dropped & never recovered :( ) that I used a lot back before the factory ammo marketing explosion when you HAD to hand load if you wanted really good ammo but that's been almost 20 years.
Again.......congrats on a very impressive range report analysis & layout.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
TearDropFan

Post by TearDropFan »

Hello Ranch Dog,

Thank you from me for doing all the testing of the Circuit Judge. I have never been into hand loading and don't understand much of the information you are posting, but I know if I read about it long enough, it will began to make sense to me over time. I have had my eye on this carbine for some time now and I am very interested in you experimentation and testing.

I am looking at it for home defense and like the ability to alternate the .410 and .45LC in the cylinder. I am not able to handle the recoil of a full fledged shotgun because of the removal of a rib on the left side and 15 fused vertebrae 15 months ago. As you can tell from that comment, I am left eye dominate and shoot from the left side. My wife hasn't had a chance to hold one of these yet, but she is anxious. I think it would be a winner for both of us. I do have several hand guns and long guns, but no shot guns. I want to see a tactical light and laser on the bottom of the barrel also. I might even add a Tasco Pro Point red / green dot scope.

I know it's not your forte, but could you take a look at modifying the stock from a DIY perspective to accept speed loaders and the total ejection of all the empty cases at one time. Also what would you use to slightly chamfer the charge holes in the cylinder for a snag free load with a speed loader. Looking forward to reading much more about your testing of this fine firearm.

Thanks for everyone's comments,

Clyde
"I wanna hang a map of the world in my house. Then I'm gonna put pins into all the locations that I've traveled to. But first, I'm gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won't fall down."