Shooting a CJ with .45acp ammo

The unique revolver-cylinder fed rifle. Chambered in 22 Rim Fire, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt/.410 bore.
pslroy

Shooting a CJ with .45acp ammo

Post by pslroy »

Who can modify the CJ cylinder so you can shoot 45acp ammo and how much does it cost? I'm having trouble finding 45 lc ammo.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shooting a CJ with .45acp ammo

Post by Ranch Dog »

pslroy wrote:Who can modify the CJ cylinder so you can shoot 45acp ammo and how much does it cost? I'm having trouble finding 45 lc ammo.
I think it would be quite complicated. The CJ performance as a 45 Colt is already handicapped with the excessive freebore created by the need to chamber the .410 so you would be adding an additional inch of freebore with the shorter cartridge. It would be long way for that bullet to engage the rifling. I suspect performance would be dismal at best in that the freebore will be relieving all of the chamber pressure.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea, I would imagine the accuracy would be terrible.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Fortenbras

Post by Fortenbras »

There is a video of a person on Youtube using moonclips in a Judge and it actually worked fine. I would think it's the same principle, however I'm not sure if the judge line is specifically designed for .45 pressure so you are kinda taking matters into your own hands.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

Ammo is pain to buy period anymore. If you was my neighbor, I'd invite you over to checkout
Reloading, I never shoot factory stuff. I know you would wait a few weeks for bullets, brass etc.
But you would find yourself with a lot more ammo, for less$.
I have a proven load for the circuit judge, gaurantee after shooting 50 or so of em yood have a
Big smile on..

-, +guns
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

The CJs are the most inefficient and intentionally poorly designed ballistic instrument I've ever seen that violate just about all the key principles of ballistics & pressure vessel technology.
Without major difficult to effect modifications you're getting very little return per pound of powder consumed when firing the center fire caliber because of the excessive free-bore inherent in the ill conceived attempt to marry a shotgun and center fire pistol into one firearm.
One very valid advantage of being a CJ owner is that is very much preferable to be standing behind the gun rather than to either side when it is being fired because of blow-by from the cylinder gap.
But I'll bet Rossi is selling a whole bunch of these things..........who can explain personal taste & preference????
Owners apparently don't care as long as it goes bang and puts a hole or multiple holes in something somewhere within a county's width of where it was aimed.
There is only 1 gun design in history that violates more principles of good gun design than the CJ. :lol:

ENJOY !! :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I think the design has it's potential but until they put a proper forcing cone in the firearm, that potential cannot be realized. It is not just the 45 Colt/.410 bore but the 44 Mag as well. This picture shows my M44C, the same as the Rossi 44102, and the way a SAAMI spec bullet should fit the forcing cone.
M44C_throat_fit.jpg
The forcing cone on both my 44 Mag and 4510 CJ would swallow three quarters of the complete cartridge. I'm looking for that picture but think I deleted it with the firearm records when I sold both rifles.

This was my worry with my just purchased Rossi 38 Spl revolver, was that Rossi did not know how to build a forcing cone so I carried a cartridge and bullet with me for the pre-purchase inspection. They do, it was a perfect fit just like the Taurus models. If they ever correct it, I would by any single cartridge offering of the rifle but I will know what to look for before I put my money down.

It is a compact rifle that handles well on the hunt and I like it other than for the limitations they build into it. The large forcing cone cuts its effective range in half both via terminal ballistics and accuracy. I would be interest in one as a 357 Mag, 41 Mag, or 44 Mag. Until you put about 35.0K PSI behind the 45 Colt it just doesn't seal to the chamber (cylinder) well enough and the debris from this design really is bad. The Taurus Thunderbolt has experienced the same issue and it is unfortunate that sales were dropped because a poor selection of cartridge on Taurus' part. They introduced the 357 Mag but "too little too late" for the firearm to recover. I would not be interested in the combo gun unless I wanted a .410 specific firearm but I would want it to be a smooth bore and not rifled.

Now that I know Rossi can build a revolver, I wish they would copy the the Taurus 450. This is a 45 Colt specific self defense revolver and one of the best revolvers I have shot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I have fired 45 Colts out of the CJ at paper from 25-100 yrd with all kinds of factory and reloads.
Also shot at dinger targets etc. I shoot with a very good friend who shoots same in a 92 lever gun.
We found this heavy 6" thick walled pipe about 8 inches long, say 40 yrds (est).
He shot it with 7 inch revolver in 45 colt, hit 2 of 6, ding
He shot it 9 out of 10 with his lever 92 in 45 colt, ding
I shot it with my loads in my Circuit Judge, Ding and the pipe flipped over, 4 out of 5 shots I hit
and it rolled or rocked every time I hit it.
The Circuit Judge ain't no tack driver, but it does shoot good enough with open sites,
and when it comes to knock down, it ain't no slouch.
As soon as I can I will chronograph it.
I am surprised, and very happy with it, less one quality control issue.
I totally get the thinking of those who suspect it will shoot bad. I kinda was concerned prior to
purchase, I got to demo one, so I jumped in head first.
Due to ammo cost, I wouldn't buy without reloading dies in the bag.
If you want a tack driver, DONT buy it.
Slower powder charges work best, long bbl loads,,,,,,,
Bla bla bla,,,hubba, bla,,,,,
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.