First load from QL

From basic database features to advanced internal ballistics
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

First load from QL

Post by Arktikos »

Here is my first load from Quickload. This is intended for my Rossi 454 Casull using new Starline brass with a Beartooth 325gr RNFP gas checked design. There are several variables I haven't done yet before I actually get started. First I haven't filled an empty case with water to weigh it so using QL's default for now. Haven't slugged the barrel either, and haven't entered the bullets BC info and I am sure there are a lot of other things I am overlooking. This is the Max load so would reduce it by 10% to start. I would be a bit hesitant to fire this in my Marlin and because the cartridge is longer than will feed in that gun it is moot anyway. Tried to find 454 Casull brass online, seems to be sold out at my usual vendors. Graft and sons have it but don't have friendly shipping policies to AK (Brown truck.. :twisted: ) Anyway I am tempted to just run this backed off from 20.5 to 18.5gr of lil'gun considering the Rossi is a strong action, but looking for opinions first..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First load from QL

Post by Ranch Dog »

Looks good. From a QL setup structure, I would suggest that the Caliber file (".vol) be something other than the cartridge name to keep things organized. I would suggest a common name such as "Arktikos" for the ".vol" file and then all the cartridges you are actively working with be listed in that common file.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

Ranch Dog wrote:Looks good. From a QL setup structure, I would suggest that the Caliber file (".vol) be something other than the cartridge name to keep things organized. I would suggest a common name such as "Arktikos" for the ".vol" file and then all the cartridges you are actively working with be listed in that common file.
That is what I am going to do.. I think I have been getting lost in the file structure so having everything under one roof should help that. also it occurred to me this morning that the main thing I want to save to go back to again and again will be the .dat files of my favorite loads. Open those and all the details I used to create them will be right there to use again.. I haven't tried but I am assuming that when I open a .dat file I can edit it and then do a "save as" and it wouldn't overwrite the original..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Arktikos wrote:I haven't tried but I am assuming that when I open a .dat file I can edit it and then do a "save as" and it wouldn't overwrite the original..
The "save as" must be a different name or the edits overwrite the existing files. This is basis of any type of file with any type of program.
Michael