How do I get QL to suggest loads?

From basic database features to advanced internal ballistics
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

How do I get QL to suggest loads?

Post by Ranch Dog »

Okay fellows, time to get the software off the shelf and on your PC as spring is around the corner and prime shooting time will soon be upon us. Don't be intimidated by the volume of input and output data of the software. It is very easy to request and received usable data with these simple steps.

Five easy steps to usable data.
QL01.png
QL02.png
QL03.png
QL04.png
QL05.png
Use "Ba" to narrow the choices to appropriate powders, adjust the selections based on the primer type the cartridge is using.
QL06.jpg
You can enter the values in the boxes or use the bars to slide to the values.

Accept the calculated NMP. This value will allow the pressure extreme spreads to remain with the Pmax. Pressure, like velocities, varies. When using pressure trace equipment, both a standard deviation and extreme spread is calculated and the ES is never allowed to exceed Pmax. Until the ES is determined, the NMP provides the level of safety needed to ensure your firearm will not experience an over pressure event. Published data considers this, they just don't state it. This is not a starting load, it should be considered a maximum until an ES is calculated via a chronograph or pressure trace.

Start with a maximum compression of 105%. Compressed charges have strange, unpredictable results. Until you gain experience with both the powder and this software, do not increase this value.

Select "Both..." as it will limit the selection to the NMP or case fill.

Enter a minimum fill based on the level suggested in the "Ba" table above. This selection further reduces the results to appropriate powders. As you gain experience with the software through shooting the suggestions, you can adjust it to your needs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How do I get QL to suggest loads?

Post by Arktikos »

Yeah! This outta be a sticky.. I think a place on this forum for QL, QT and the other software out there is well deserved and now I have to try to dislodge enough brain rust enough to learn something here!
Thanks for setting this up and look forward to asking questions and hearing results on how others are using this software..
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!