Quickload

From basic database features to advanced internal ballistics
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Quickload

Post by massmanute »

I wonder how accurate Quickload is, particularly the pressure calculations in the .357 magnum but also in general terms. Any comments? Has anyone compared the predictions with experimental measurements? Also, how accurate are the velocity calculations?

Thanks.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Quickload

Post by pricedo »

massmanute wrote:I wonder how accurate Quickload is, particularly the pressure calculations in the .357 magnum but also in general terms. Any comments? Has anyone compared the predictions with experimental measurements? Also, how accurate are the velocity calculations?

Thanks.
My copy of QL has been sitting on the desktop ignored & unused.......a clear cut case of having more money to waste than ambition to use the stuff I buy with it. :(
When conjecturing/developing a load I tend to interpolate from the umpteen reloading manuals I have accumulated in my library over the years which are based on actual firing results.
I can usually nail em pretty close........my predicted velocities often come within 50 fps of chronograph results.
RD is getting some pretty good results with QL that he has been kind enough to publish on the forum and he has one really big advantage over me in that he's not lazy.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

pricedo wrote:
...RD is getting some pretty good results with QL that he has been kind enough to publish on the forum and he has one really big advantage over me in that he's not lazy.
I know what you mean. I have found that the definition of Hell is to be both lazy and a perfectionist.
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I also have a copy That has been largely unused to this point mostly because of not having a decent chronograph to confirm the QL calculations. I have read through the extensive manual and believe this software has a lot of merrit so long as one makes the effort so that it isn't "garbage in garbage out". There are several ways to customize the program for different brass, etc as well as primers (although it doesn't have direct data on primers) and the difference in guns, chamber size etc. I am really looking forward to learning more about it.

Sent from some beach on Kauai HI
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Arktikos wrote:I also have a copy That has been largely unused to this point mostly because of not having a decent chronograph to confirm the QL calculations. I have read through the extensive manual and believe this software has a lot of merrit so long as one makes the effort so that it isn't "garbage in garbage out". There are several ways to customize the program for different brass, etc as well as primers (although it doesn't have direct data on primers) and the difference in guns, chamber size etc. I am really looking forward to learning more about it.

Sent from some beach on Kauai HI
I don't even have that excuse.
I have one of those RCBS AmmoMaster chronographs that looks like a big 3' long bullet with the electronic keypad in the detachable nose and the other paraphernalia in the "bullet" case.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

pricedo wrote:

I don't even have that excuse.
I have one of those RCBS AmmoMaster chronographs that looks like a big 3' long bullet with the electronic keypad in the detachable nose and the other paraphernalia in the "bullet" case.
I have a Shooting Chrony that was given to me as a gift but it reads very erratic with everything except 22lr. Maybe it's the weird lighting with the mts and either low angle sunlight or 20,000 ft of cloud cover. By this summer I will get another one and hopefully have better results. I believe a chronograph that works is a must to using QL.

Somewhere between paradise and home
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

massmanute wrote:I wonder how accurate Quickload is, particularly the pressure calculations in the .357 magnum but also in general terms. Any comments? Has anyone compared the predictions with experimental measurements? Also, how accurate are the velocity calculations?
I shoot across both a chronograph (CED) and with pressure trace equipment (RSI) and find QL predictions extremely accurate. The results of offered from the program can be fine tuned with some simple steps such as actually determining the H20 capacity of your cases, using an appropriate temperature, and providing the complete information about your chamber and barrel. Even without that, the base information with the punch of a button is closer than any published data I've compared.
Michael