I'm a hoarder but TMT is going to help me

From basic database features to advanced internal ballistics
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: I'm a hoarder but TMT is going to help me

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

Well if there is a bright side to this I will not get caught short again once things settle down. I know the local shops around here laugh at you if you ask for primers. All reloading components are hard to find right now.
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:Most new computers come with a Microsoft Office suite version in tow that includes some form of the ACCESS data management software......ACCESS 2003....... ACCESS 2007......ACCESS 2010......ACCESS 2013......they're all good.
While ACCESS is not as powerful as the enterprise data management software like Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle it is very capable data management software for home & small business projects like inventory control, personal finances, managing collections of items including firearms.
It's very easy with a knowledge of the very basic Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming language to write custom made searchable databases for your shooting projects that will store your firearms information, components inventory, and load information and much more.
Why buy a 3rd party firearms/reloading program that roughly approximates the solution your require when the software is already there to create one custom made for your specific needs?
I'm actually using Microsoft Office Developer for XP which is 2000/2002. I use Access to track everything from guns, components, powder etc. I even had a manual section that stored them in PDF format and a Targets section that list them based on animals, grids, bullseye etc. I took parts from existing free software I've download to try that was usually bit bug riddled but had decent databases underlying it. It also ties Access to Excel and Word pretty seamlessly also. I also cut down to a few calibers getting rid of stuff I don't shoot or my wife doesn't shoot. We are now down to handguns consisting of 2 - 9mm, 3 - 45Colts revolvers and 1 - 45ACP. Rifles are a 45 Colt and 45-70 with 2 side by side shotguns a 20 ga and a 12 ga. I also have a .177 pellet gun. At one time I had close to 30 guns. I am considering selling two of the 45 Colts a ASM SAA 4.75" barrel and a Uberti Cattleman SAA 5.5" barrel keeping the Cimarron/Uberti 7.5" barrel SAA and getting a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. My wife and I are also retiring in the next couple of months and will start hunting again ASAP while cutting back on the Cowboy Action shooting. Now I started reloading a little over 2 years ago loading 45 Colt and 12 ga black powder for Cowboy Action and expanded to 9mm 45 ACP and recently 45-70. I did however stock up a lot more than I'll probably shoot in a life time in components from primers, powders, bullets and brass. I also use Lee dies for all of it except for the L-WN loads for hunting with the 45-70 and for that I use the RCBS Cowboy dies someone gave me a while back. Those I also load on a single stage press however 405 gr bullets down I load on the Lee Classic Turret. I still am looking for new powders I've not tried for 45-70 however pistol powders for target/plinking once I use up what I have extra I will narrow that down to a couple powders. I do have 2 lbs each of 4 different black powders all in FFg size. I only load the 12 ga with black powder and buy the rest as I don't want to get into shot gun reloading as I don't use it often.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

I could see the handwriting on the wall long ago and when I saw what a political stumble-bum Mitt Romney was I knew Obama was a cinch for a second term and that the feeding frenzy at the guns shops would continue unabated.
I've got lots of factory ammo as well as components squirreled away and won't run out for a very long time.
Obamas latest threat to use executive orders to ban guns cranked the back order waiting time on most reloading stuff up from 6 months to 1 or 2 years. :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:I could see the handwriting on the wall long ago and when I saw what a political stumble-bum Mitt Romney was I knew Obama was a cinch for a second term and that the feeding frenzy at the guns shops would continue unabated.
I've got lots of factory ammo as well as components squirreled away and won't run out for a very long time.
Obamas latest threat to use executive orders to ban guns cranked the back order waiting time on most reloading stuff up from 6 months to 1 or 2 years. :shock:
I did when I started right after Obama got elected the first time. When I saw it would be Romney I stock up making a point to get everything on want to try/buy list which was already half owned. I still will by primers and powder when I see them locally and occasionally fired brass if the price is right even if I don't need it at the time. I did get a lot of new Starline brass (>1000 cases) each caliber and 200 Magtech brass 12 ga shot shells.
Joe
Tuco Ramirez
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Tuco Ramirez »

I have been very happy with all the brass I have purchased from Starline. I purchase direct from them no middleman. Quality brass at a reasonable price and great service. After he was put in the first time I could not find primers for close to 2 1/2 years. That was a cake walk I have a bad feeling it will take much longer to pull out this go round. I look at all the stuff going in this country and across the world and wonder if a truck load is enough... :lol:
When you have to Shoot; shoot, don't talk.......
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Tuco Ramirez wrote:I have been very happy with all the brass I have purchased from Starline. I purchase direct from them no middleman. Quality brass at a reasonable price and great service. After he was put in the first time I could not find primers for close to 2 1/2 years. That was a cake walk I have a bad feeling it will take much longer to pull out this go round. I look at all the stuff going in this country and across the world and wonder if a truck load is enough... :lol:
Yes I got 45-70, 45 Colt, 45 ACP and both 9mm standard and 9mm +P cases direct from Starline also. Actually got it all in 1 week too. I also have picked up a 1000 pieces of Speer 45 ACP and the same in Speer 9mm brass. I been bullets from Badman, Delta Precision, Friendswood Bullets, Montana Bullets, Carolina Bullets (RD casts), Oregon Trail (True Cast) and of course Tombstone Bullets (Doc Holiday). I also have 500 I bought off one of the boards by Nevada Bullets in 405 gr 45-70.

I actually got some large pistol and large rifle primers last week at Sportsman's Warehouse but didn't pick up any small pistol as I have a few thousand now and only use them with 9mm while most every thing else is large pistol and only the 45-70 with large rifle. I already had a pretty good supply though that I got a while back before the panic buying set in.
Joe
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Starline brass is my first choice as well and then Winchester. Hornady used to be before Winchester in my list but they started cutting the levergun stuff short for their FTX bullets so I stopped buying it.

I firmly believe that it will come around and I don't blame the manufacturers for not gearing up to match the demand as they know that it drops to zero for several years. Gearing up is expensive and quite hard to recover.

While in the mold business I thought about making gas checks on a scale to match Hornady, mainly because I think that Hornady would drop that part of their business if they ever have issues with the two machines they have that are stamping them out. I was put in contact with the outfit that manufactured their gas check presses and quickly found out that it would cost a quarter of a million dollars for one press. As a business you also have to be strong enough earn your place in line for the coils of copper to feed it 5 days a week and pay for one and a half people to keep it running. It is easy to put the math to it and I would not have been able to recover the investment in my lifetime running it 8 hours a day, five days a week.

Lee faces the same situation. The mold that they used to inject the Micro Charge Bar was recently damaged. After looking at a replacement, they would NEVER be able to recover the cost of a new mold. Never.

That is the sad state of business in America, the costs have become huge and unrecoverable.
Michael
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

Ranch Dog wrote:Starline brass is my first choice as well and then Winchester. Hornady used to be before Winchester in my list but they started cutting the levergun stuff short for their FTX bullets so I stopped buying it.

I firmly believe that it will come around and I don't blame the manufacturers for not gearing up to match the demand as they know that it drops to zero for several years. Gearing up is expensive and quite hard to recover.

While in the mold business I thought about making gas checks on a scale to match Hornady, mainly because I think that Hornady would drop that part of their business if they ever have issues with the two machines they have that are stamping them out. I was put in contact with the outfit that manufactured their gas check presses and quickly found out that it would cost a quarter of a million dollars for one press. As a business you also have to be strong enough earn your place in line for the coils of copper to feed it 5 days a week and pay for one and a half people to keep it running. It is easy to put the math to it and I would not have been able to recover the investment in my lifetime running it 8 hours a day, five days a week.

Lee faces the same situation. The mold that they used to inject the Micro Charge Bar was recently damaged. After looking at a replacement, they would NEVER be able to recover the cost of a new mold. Never.

That is the sad state of business in America, the costs have become huge and unrecoverable.
When I started with Cowboy action I bought a 1000 rounds of factory Winchester cowboy loaded ammo. I still have the brass for that as well which I didn't list. I also have some mixed brass for all that I've picked when I go to the range. Bud's doesn't care if you pickup up brass if it is on the floor since they sell nothing for reloading.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Starline brass is my first choice as well and then Winchester. Hornady used to be before Winchester in my list but they started cutting the levergun stuff short for their FTX bullets so I stopped buying it.

Another marketing vacuum for the Chinese, Russians, Koreans & Japanese to fill.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Another marketing vacuum for the Chinese, Russians, Koreans & Japanese to fill.
Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen a flood of products to fill the gap. They could gear up and flood the market at 20 year ago prices and put all current component manufacturers out of business overnight. I do not know what type of trade restrictions or laws would permit brass, bullets, and primers from entering our country.

If you look at the list of powders in QuickLoad, there are powders from everywhere listed, including those manufactured in China.
Michael