This is a ROSSI!

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
AhnkoChee
Founding Member
Founding Member

This is a ROSSI!

Post by AhnkoChee »

Just wanted to share my rather uncommon model 62LAR 22 rimfire levergun. It's basically the Rossi model 62 operated with a lever instead of the pump forearm. From what I gather Winchester did have a lever action variant of their model 62A pump gun on the drawing board but it never went past the design stage. The 62LAR supposedly is the first time this design has gone into production. Sadly the production run was very shortlived. I have no idea why as my rifle has been 100% relaible since day one back in 2005 when purchased new.
I know it says TAURUS all over the gun but to me it's a Rossi since Rossi brought the classic Winchester 62A back into production. I made a couple changes which I consider improvements. First I removed the ridiculous (to me) safety from on top the the bolt, and plugged it with a plug kit from Nate Kiowa Jones made for the model 92 clones. It fit the hole just fine but required some grinding to the depth of the plug to allow the firing pin to work. This design comes with a perfectly good halfcock which this old dog grew up using along with safe gun handling practices. The best safety is your well educated and trained brain. Second, I noticed that the lever at the pivot screw where it meets the frame was a tad lose and rattly so a got two small brass washers of appropriate size and stoned them until they could fit sandwiching the lever at the pivot point thus eliminating the play in the lever. I'm sure 99% of shooters would have found the play acceptable but I'm me so had to do something. I also replaced the take-down saddle ring it came with with a take-down knob from a model 62 pump 22. The saddle ring was noisely, and didn't seem appropriate for a 23" barreled rifle. If I ever cut the barrel down to 20 inch or less I may consider reinstalling the saddle ring. Lastly a installed a Taurus made tang sight which is fully adjustable for elevation and windage, and a steal at $35.00 at the time. I'm very happy with the results but wish they where still in production so others could enjoy shooting this unique design rifle. Here's a few pictures:

My model 62LAr with Improvements including take-down knob
Safety removed, hole plugged
Lever pivot point shimmed with brass washers
Taurus tang peep sight installed
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: This is a ROSSI!

Post by Ranch Dog »

What a nice rifle, been looking for one of these for quite some time!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Wow that is such a nice rifle never seen one before like they are in folklore. wow. nice thanks for sharing
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
44-40 Willy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've heard of them, just never seen a pic before. Nice looking gun. If it shoots as good as my 62, it'll be a keeper.
Navy Arms 1892 - 357 Mag - 24" Octagon heavy barrel.
Rossi 62 Octagon 22LR
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

sure is purty what kind of accuracy you get with her?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Gun Totin' Gal

Post by Gun Totin' Gal »

Sigh. She is beautiful. and she's shiny, my favorite finish. Thanks for the great detail on your mods.
dionesius3

Post by dionesius3 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

To say that I am GREEN with ENVY is to understate my feelings upon seeing this awesome gun.

I WANT ONE!!!