20 ga single shot issues

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
Partsjockey

20 ga single shot issues

Post by Partsjockey »

Bought my son a 20g single shot Rossi. Gun shoots great but we are having a terrible time ejecting the empty shell. About 90% of the time when you press the lever to release the barrel and reload it will try and release then get hung up. The only fix I've found is to dry fire it 3-5 times afterwards and then it will function as smooth as silk. I purchased it new and did a thorough cleaning, and oiling. It's had about 50 rds through it so far and seems as if its getting SLIGHTLY better as we go. Any ideas? Had an older H&R that exhibited the same symptoms and it ended up being a firing pin that wasn't releasing. I'd like some more opinions before I go that far down with a new gun.

Thanks!
Bill
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 20 ga single shot issues

Post by Ranch Dog »

Greetings Bill and welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone will be able to offer some insight that might help. If the firearm went back, it might be gone about 6 weeks. Might be worth working the fingers a bit against a snap cap to see if it wears in. May be blow some oil back through the firing pin hole to help the process. I'm grabbing at straws here.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Could be a week ejector spring I had a new england 20 gauge single shot that I rigged a stronger spring in to fix this issue for me it fire out empties so far it was nuts. LoL
Here is an idea just for giggles remove the barrel without the forearm use breakcleaner nonchlorinated and spray it into the the ejector and spring area until it comes out clean may be grease is gunking ot up. They ship these in on frieghters on the sea and sometimes are covered in grease fvor this reason so just maybe even though you cleaned it maybe it needs a break cleaner bath if it is dirty it will come out dirty the spray if clean it will come out clean then reoil her and try her out. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Partsjockey

Post by Partsjockey »

The ejector in the barrel itsel is working great! The problem is getting the barrel to break open. I'm going after another 100rds today and a fresh can of rem oil. Hopefully I can get it lined out. I'll try and take a video and post it if I don't have any better luck

Thanks
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I am sorry I misunderstood the problem. So the action locks up tight when you shot it. Hhmmmmmm? I have not had this before. I hope someone can help as I have no ideas on that.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ahhh, this was similar to what my Wizard was doing? Can you manipulate the safety after the shot or is that locked up too?

Posted via Tapatalk while hunting!
Michael
izzyjoe

Post by izzyjoe »

i would check to see that the firing pin is moving freely back and forth, also with the action open and the hammer down look to see how much of the FP is sticking out. if the FP is sticky it may be locking it up, cause the shell is what pushes it back.