Rossi 62SA slide plate screw

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
Century Limited

Rossi 62SA slide plate screw

Post by Century Limited »

I recently walked into LGS and came upon a Rossi 62SA. I took it to the range and as fun as it was to shoot and as nice as it was, my eyes are not good enough for the factory sights. I decided that I was going to put my Skinner barrel mount peep sight on it. I figured the easiest way to remove old sight would be to remove the slide and place barrel on bench block to drive the factory sight out. I proceeded to get out my gunsmithing hollow ground screwdriver kit and was checking fitment of various bits until I found one that fit snugly. When I did, I still had driver held by only two fingers and was about to loosen side plate cover screw when half the screw head popped off. That really shocked me as I had yet to put real pressure on it. Maybe the guy that traded it in knew it was bad, maybe just a fluke. The remaining part of screw is still holding the side plate cover on, so I have not went any further trying to remove the screw, and I do not intend to unless need be. I have no idea if it will come out or if I will need it to be drilled out at major time and expense. I would, however, like to have a spare screw on hand so that if it fails I will have one. I have no idea of thread size, etc. Numrich does not have them in stock for the Rossi 62 SA. Several places have winchester 62 or earlier versions available, but I am unsure if they are the same.

Does anyone know what the thread pitch is? SAE? Metric? Same as Winchester? I see screws from $3 on up and hate to end up buying a side plate/screw for $30 off eBay if the screw is the weak part that tends to break, especially if can buy the $3 screw from homestead parts identified as: Screw that holds side plate in place on 1890 and 1906 Winchester pump .22 rifles. This part fits mod 90 or Mod 06 or 62A.

At first I figured I'd easily find screw online and be out $4 for a screw and $9 shipping. After searching it appears that I may be on a long hunt to even find correct screw. Posts on other boards imply that Taurus does not sell replacement parts for an Interarms distributed Rossi.

FWIW, I discovered that my standard 3/8 dovetail Skinner sight that I had on hand was too small. I currently have one on order from them with the larger dovetail, along with a taller front sight.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Re: Rossi 62SA slide plate screw

Post by GasGuzzler »

My GUESS is metric. Current Rossi cares ZERO about original Rossi guns. Good luck. You need someone with a similar rifle to match it up.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

From the photo, it appears that enough of the thread is exposed to measure the major diameter. Perhaps with some magnification, you could eyeball across the tips of your calipers. Take a guess at the length, buy that one and increments around it, and Bob's your uncle! You could even buy the closest SAE/Imperial/English size, too.
Century Limited

Post by Century Limited »

Would you spray penetrating oil on it then use hammer and punch/chisel to try to turn screw? I am unsure if rest of head breaks off if I'd be able to drill remaining bolt out. At least if it broke, I'd be able to disassemble rifle before working on broken screw removal I haven't done so on small, screws, only 1/4" and larger. I just hate to make matters worse if will work as is. Gun looks clean and not in need of deep cleaning at moment.

My Skinner sight is in the mail, so I will likely use as is for awhile at least. If I only take to indoor range and it fails, I should not lose any parts.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I'm in favor of your "let sleeping dogs lie" approach. To extract the screw, I would take the same first step with penetrating oil and a punch, but I wouldn't hold out much hope. And once you break off the rest of the head, EDM might be your only salvation. That's a $75 bill in my neck of the woods.