Newest Rossi

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
cruzerbotz

Newest Rossi

Post by cruzerbotz »

So, went to Cabelas on Tuesday to look at ATV ramps. Of course, had to peruse the gun section and library. Was actually thinking about getting a lightweight, single shot 22 rifle, so was looking primarily at the Savage Rascal. Just something to carry if wandering in the woods. They had the black stock for $180 and the wood stocked one for $219. Liked the wood stocked one, but was going to look around before "pulling the trigger".

Wandered down to the last rack and saw a little 22 pump. Picked it up. It was a blued Rossi 62 SAC. Really good shape. Couple of light scratches on one side of the receiver and some dings in the wood. But, the bluing looked good. Said "Mmmmm!" and left without buying anything.

Got online and did a little research. The majority of reviews were good, saying it was a solid little rifle. This was the "compact" with the 16" barrel. Interarms S,L,LR and no safety. Priced at $249.99. About everything I saw online was $350 and above. Got excited and was back in the store right after they opened. Got 'em to take the lock off so I could get a good look. Took it apart and pulled the inner magazine tube. The little rifle had obviously been shot, but looked like it had been taken care of. Bluing looked 100% on the outside, except where the operating bar rubbed on the receiver. The inner magazine tube had about half the bluing worn off. End of the firing pin was still "sharp" and not worn. Overall, it looked like it had been shot some, but spent more time sitting and waiting to be shot. So, it came home with me.

Had to go to the range yesterday to sight in one of my rifles and took it. Didn't have much time, but put some old Golden Bullets, some Eley Sport and a tube of Mini Mags through it. All did decently at 25 yds, although I do need to drift the sights a hair. All in all a keeper that appears to be able to shoot minute of squirrel at 25 yds. Even with my old eyes and open sights. I will put a dab of white or yellow nail polish on the back of the front sight.
IMG_2099 (Copy).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler

Re: Newest Rossi

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nice grab.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
dvw86

Post by dvw86 »

That was my very first gun ever. I got it when I was 12. It was great. Unfortunately I had to sell it years later to pay for college books.
cruzerbotz

Post by cruzerbotz »

My wife says I never leave anything the way I get it. I tell her everything is made for the masses and if I want it for "me", I have to work on it. So, put the nail polish on the back of the front sight. Still had a tough time picking it up through the narrow slot in the rear sight. So, filed about a 3/32" half moon where the slot was. Real easy to pick up the front sight now. May go shoot it later, to see if it is any better.

Noticed the outer magazine tube seemed to be bent a little and the inner tube was tight. Even after cleaning all the stuff off it. So, took the outer tube off and rolled it on a flat surface. Not bent. Put it back together and tapped the tube holder over in the slot. Now it is much better.

Having the rifle apart and looking at the design, I am really surprised that John Browning didn't design the lever actions the same way. And, that no one has built a 357, 44, or 45 using the same design. Maybe they have and I just never saw one. But, the positive feed would seem a lot more reliable for a pistol caliber cartridge, rather than the lifter that doesn't "grab" the cartridge.
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

cruzerbotz wrote:
Having the rifle apart and looking at the design, I am really surprised that John Browning didn't design the lever actions the same way. And, that no one has built a 357, 44, or 45 using the same design. Maybe they have and I just never saw one. But, the positive feed would seem a lot more reliable for a pistol caliber cartridge, rather than the lifter that doesn't "grab" the cartridge.
Nice work!

I'd love to have a pump in one of those cartridges.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Cool find!
BCRider

Post by BCRider »

You did pretty good from the sound of it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I tripped over a used Rossi 62 at the local shop either. But it was priced low enough that I figured I couldn't go too far wrong.

As you're quickly finding it turned out to be wonderfully accurate and provided I try much at all it makes me look better than I think I am. And it eats just about anything I want to put into it unlike the two 100 year old Remington 12's I've also got which need standard or subsonic ammo to avoid beating up the breech block.

We have a local version of Speed Steel (think "Steel Challenge") that has a category for rimfire carbines. I had a total blast last summer using my 62 in that. I was up against the guys with the tricked out semi autos but I didn't care. It was just too much fun racking that pump and pulling the trigger and hearing the "DING!". It was being like back at the local fair's shooting gallery! :D
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I wish I'd find deals like that
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

There were some pistol caliber slide action carbines back in the day.
I think Colt made one for example.