I think I need a lever gun

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

I think I need a lever gun

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I want a real heavy long barrel, just fits me. Like them Sharps sites,,,,,,I want to launch a variety of bullets,,,,250 to 500 grn,, say 1500 to 1800 fps, so I can have a big heavy one and fast flat one.
And one more thing, I have a lot of 45 Colt stuff I need to use.....
any suggestions?
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
P89DC

Re: I think I need a lever gun

Post by P89DC »

Rossi R92 in 454 Casull?
44mag and 357mag are my choices for rifle/revolver cartridges.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Well, the pistol cartridge rifles are going to have problems with bullet heavier 330 to 340 - grains. Just not enough room to get it all stuffed in there.

Rio Grande 45-70 Govt I would suggest.
Michael
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Even the .45-70 generally has problems exceeding about 400 grains in the lever action repeaters.
You can usually get there with the single shots depending on date of manufacture and if they were manufactured without limitations on the throat to better fit modern factory ammunition.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Archer wrote:Even the .45-70 generally has problems exceeding about 400 grains in the lever action repeaters.
You can usually get there with the single shots depending on date of manufacture and if they were manufactured without limitations on the throat to better fit modern factory ammunition.
Very true unless you go with bullets that were designed with the lever limitations in mind. Specifically the Beartooth Pile Drivers. I've tested both and even the 525-grain bullet functioned without issue in the Rio Grande. Shoot extremely well too!
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

THANKS for the posts y'all, in truth I was getting depressed over my C.J. Got it out of the machine shop last night, took it with today and stopped out in the desert and set up a lawn chair and targets, nice.
Still I have read many things that make me want a new lever gun, a long range deal,of the two mentioned I would lean toward the Rio Grande. See I hesitate to get into why, but for me, to shoulder a big gun, with a full magazine, just feels right, I hate a bolt action, had 2 sold em both.
A thing I read really makes a Rossi look good compared to other more co$tly brands.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

With the Rio Grande being dropped from production last year, they are getting hard to find. I just did a search on Gunbroker at there were none :shock:
Michael
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

One thing Ive learned, never settle for less. I got some strange desires, to me a 28" barrel is short. This place up in Idaho sells nice 45-70 shooters, cheapest one is $1300. And I don,t care for the sites.
I,m ok, I got my Circuit Judge back, wow is it nice now.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Now this evil bad person who also belongs to this dimented group was yaking about his Colt 45 bla bla bla.
Gets me going, I just looked at the Rossi web site, the sell a thing called a M92 in 45 with 24" long barrel,,,,ooooow baby i have a lot of 45 brass..........man he was yakin 300 grn bullets and all, makes me wanna go count my money,,,,,
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got the .44 Mag version. They are fun but honestly the 20 Round Barrel balances better for carry.
Since I've also got the 20" RB SS and a Winchester 24" RB 94 I think I'm pretty well set in the .44s for now.
Still looking for another .357 in either stainless or octagonal or both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.