Rossi 62 .22 pump extractor fix

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
dwwright

Rossi 62 .22 pump extractor fix

Post by dwwright »

About a year ago I bought a Rossi 62 SAC .22 pump from a co-worker. He had the gun as a kid and it had never been cleaned, so we agreed on $50 and it was mine.

I gave it a good cleaning and took it to the range the next weekend. I found that about every 3rd round would FTE, which is a real pain as it's a break-down model. It would have the stuck casing in the camber, a new round in the elevator blocking the chamber. So the only way to remove the stuck casing was to break the gun in half, which allowed all the other rounds in the tube magazine to shoot out on the table.

I determined that the extractor was worn and have spent the last year off and on searching for a replacement with no luck, everywhere is sold out. Well, remembering that the gun is a Winchester 62 clone, I decided to do a search for a replacement extractor for it. I found one here (http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/24/W ... er_62A.htm) and for the $26 figured I'd take a chance that they are the same.

I got the extractor today and in comparison they were the same, so I installed it. Turned out to have the same issue, maybe even worse as it wasn't even touching the casing. So after some inspection I decided to remove some of the material from the inner flat between the hook and pin hole on the extractor itself. This is where it rests against the bolt, so removing material there would allow the hook to move closer to the casing head.

It started out about .080" thick, at about .065" it was working really well, so it looks like I may have been able to solve this issue by doing the same to the old extractor, but at least I have a spare now.

Anyway Hope this helps anyone else trying to fix this issue with theirs or is looking for parts.

BTW...here is the gun, non-matching foregrip/stock and all. :D
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Rossi 62 .22 pump extractor fix

Post by akuser47 »

Great work thanks for shareing
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
green grunt

Post by green grunt »

Hello to All , I have the same problem with extraction on my 62 , but only on the last round ! all the rest fly out just fine...but that last one is a pain in the neck , stays in the chamber or the lifter and need to jiggle the heck out of it or brake it down to get it out , wondering if this fix would help or not ?

great info fix...thanks for sharing.

Semper Fi.
green grunt

Post by green grunt »

dwwright , Thanks for the help and info .
sent a PM , not sure if I did it right or not ;)