Interarms Rossi 62sa

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
thumbs

Interarms Rossi 62sa

Post by thumbs »

Does anyone know the accuracy of one of these rifles at 25 yards? Just wondering if I'm beating a dead horse or if It should be better. I am using a peep.

thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Interarms Rossi 62sa

Post by Ranch Dog »

thumbs wrote:Does anyone know the accuracy of one of these rifles at 25 yards? Just wondering if I'm beating a dead horse or if It should be better. I am using a peep.
Well, what kind of accuracy are you seeing and what kind of ammo are you shooting. I sold my 62SA this year but it shot very well. At 25 yards it would cut the bullseye out of a target. I shot plenty of turtles in the head at various distance out on my lake.
Michael
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

I didn't want to state the accuacy. I wanted to hear from others first. But since you asked........
I have used five different makes of ammo and I can't get under 1 inch. Now when I say an inch that is the best. It may just have been that one but I am not getting, what I would consider, moment of squirrel at 25 yards. Most of the time it's closer to 2 to 3 inches. I have always had a problem with accuracy with this rifle since I bought it new maybe 30 years or so ago. I feel I should at least get 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards.

I have tried
CCI mini mags
Federal American Eagle
CCi standard lead
White box (gov surplus) standard velocity lead
Winchester 333

Not sure what the problem is. I like the rifle so much,other than the way it shoots, that I would even rebarrel it if I thought that would help. What a shame, nice rifle just doesn't shoot.
I am open to suggestions.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

1/2" groups from a bench at 25 yards might be possible with some ammo but 2"+ is not good. The cost of rebarreling the rifle would be more than the rifle is worth. What about the crown. A member recently showed us how to recrown a rifle on the cheap using Lee case trimmers. That would be very each to do with the purchase of a 22 Hornet case trimmer, the 22 Rimfire and 22 Hornet use the same bore/groove diameter (.217"/.222").

Here is the topic: Cutting a barrel and crown with hand tools

You would not be interested in cutting the barrel, just the crown, so here are the tools you would need:
Lee 22 Hornet Case Length Trimmer ~ $6
Lee Cutter with Ball Grip ~ $10

I think it would be worth a try, heck of a lot cheaper than a new barrel.
Michael
Calif. Hunter

Post by Calif. Hunter »

My eyes are getting worse as I age, but my 16-year old son loves my M-62 and fairly routinely makes head shots on jack rabbits out to 50 yards or a bit further.