Wolf ammo in a Rossi single shot 223 rem

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
sherman

Wolf ammo in a Rossi single shot 223 rem

Post by sherman »

I have a proublem with Wolf ammo in my single Shot. After I Fire about three rounds in the Rifle it will not open. It will open after about 45 mins. of cooling down. Has any one had this trouble ? I also I get Fail to fire using Federal Ammo. If I use My own reloads It works Fine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wolf ammo in a Rossi single shot 223 rem

Post by Ranch Dog »

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon enough. Let me ask you this about both brands. Are they marked 223 Rem or 5.56X45?

The reason I ask, you are probably aware of this, is that the cartridge dimensions are the same but the chamber leade and pressure that they are loaded to are different. Using factory 5.56 ammo in a 223 Rem barrel will produce significantly higher pressure, higher pressure than the 5.56 is already loaded to, because of the short leade. I suspect the Federal is 223 Rem but the Wolf?

A hunter/friend just gave me 260 rounds of Wolf 7.62x39 for my two new rifles; the Rossi and the Savage. Honestly, I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'm just not excited about shooting steel bullets through my barrels. I'm probably not going to shoot it. Anytime a magnetic will stick to a bullet is not good in my opinion.
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Well I am an ak guy and have alot of info for this ammo I can only assume you have the new laquer coated it melts when hot and hardens when cool in a sin gle action I can see this as becomeing an issue. Just clean more and trie to look into reloading to save yourself the trouble. when wolf switched to lacauer I had issues with some of my ak's I currently shoot thrre the old school combloc are not this way but tend to be corrosive these days so you need to way your optiond and results towards your goals. the laqaur cases cases to glue into the chamber. making a single action harder to open.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I noticed the Wolf 7.62x39 is lacquered, hadn't had the time to figure that out or at least read about it so this helps me quite a bit. I'm not going to run it through either gun.

Now, as to why the Federal misfires?
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The wolf military classic It used to come in a camo box is not supposed to be laqaured so this could be an option in steel cased wolf if your looking their black box is all supposed to be all laqaured.
Last edited by akuser47 on 24 Dec 2013 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
f100cleveland

Post by f100cleveland »

I picked up some Wolf WPA polyformance in 7.62x39 thats supposedly coated in poly not laquer. Haven't had a problem with them sticking in my single shot so far. Its just that a few don't go off on first hit.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

f100cleveland wrote:I picked up some Wolf WPA polyformance in 7.62x39 thats supposedly coated in poly not laquer. Haven't had a problem with them sticking in my single shot so far. Its just that a few don't go off on first hit.
I havent shot much of the new poly ammo yet as I have a decent stock of older stuff like sapson n wolf and such I got for 54.00 to 62.00 dollars per 1000 round cases way back in the day wish I had gotten a pallet of it at this price. Keep us posted on how your poly ammo performs.
ironhead7544
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by ironhead7544 »

Had trouble with Wolf ammo of both types in my Chinese AK. Cases would stick with certain lots. Had to quit using it. Brass cases and handloads worked perfectly. The Wolf 223 is not a fast load, about 100 to 150 fps slower with the 55 grain load than other ammo. That doesnt mean that the pressure is lower. Also had a Romy 223 AK and the Wolf worked just fine. I guess some rifles just dont "like" some ammo.

Wolf 7.62x39 has always worked just fine in any 7.62x39 rifles. I have no problem with steel jacketed bullets. They have been used for many years. Norma used to make steel jacketed 44 Magnum bullets. They were superb in my 44 Magnum guns. I still have a few. Werent popular because everyone thought they would hurt the barrels. The ammo Norma sold was marked for carbines. They called the bullet "Tri-Clad". It had the steel jacket, plating on the jacket, and was coated with a clear lacquer. Very large meplat on the 240 gr soft point. Also had a hollowpoint version. With a nickel case it makes for good looking ammo. I bought all I could find when they quit making them. Still have one box I loaded in the 70ties. Too pretty to shoot. Even Elmer Keith admitted this bullet would penetrate just as good as his.