Firing my matched pair pistol

Any Rossi not classified in the forums above.
f100cleveland

Firing my matched pair pistol

Post by f100cleveland »

Finally got warm enough to fire a few rounds through the Rossi. The .22 seems to be fairly accurate and ended up putting a red dot optic sight on it. The 45 colt was a little hard to get sighted in. Ended up with rear sight off to one side more than I liked but did get it close. Ran some cowboy 200gr harnady 225gr FTX's and buffalo bore standard pressure 255gr keith cast bullets through it. They kicked less than expected. Stuck the choke in and shot some .410 2 1/2" shells. Wow they had more kick than the 45colt. Could knock startlings out of trees at 20yds no problem, but I have one issue. The primer is black like it blew back threw it. Didn't happen on 45's. Looks like firing pin is denting the .410 primer deeper than 45's. Is it anything to worry about? Otherwise it works fine.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Firing my matched pair pistol

Post by Ranch Dog »

f100cleveland wrote:...but I have one issue. The primer is black like it blew back threw it. Didn't happen on 45's. Looks like firing pin is denting the .410 primer deeper than 45's. Is it anything to worry about? Otherwise it works fine.
May be try a different brand of .410 ammo next time to see if the issue sticks with the gun or leaves with the ammo swap.
Michael
f100cleveland

Re: Firing my matched pair pistol

Post by f100cleveland »

Tried some Federal Handgun and Winchester HS .410 shotshells and didn't have the firing pin blow out. Remington Express loads have blown back every time. Guess that solves that issue. Thanks Ranch Dog. Now to try and find some .444 cases and make my own.