Uberti New Cattleman 357 mag

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
jmay

Uberti New Cattleman 357 mag

Post by jmay »

I picked up a Uberti NM Cattleman in 357 while doing some gun trading. It shoots well looks cool, besides that don't know much about it. What makes it the New Model, is there anything i should know about this pistol? What kinda of pressure should I keep under while loading for this guy? Any info appreciated thanks!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Uberti New Cattleman 357 mag

Post by pricedo »

The Uberti 1873 Cattleman revolver/carbine with the 18" barrel is nice too.
I have one in 45LC.........quite accurate.
Have been told not to get too overzealous with regards to heavy load recipes.
Those cylinder walls don't look none too "beefy"........maybe the 357 model is different.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
jmay

Post by jmay »

I think the 357 is little sturdier than 45 due to being designed on same frame and cylinder but only being bored to fit 357 it leaves quite a bit of extra metal. At list that's what I have heard!
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

The difference is the way you remove the cylinder pin. The new model has the spring activate button you simply depress while the old model had the screw type which was sometimes a problem because they could walk out. Oh and I have 3 of them, a 4.75", 5.5" and 7.5" barreled version all 45 Colt, case hardened/blued finish and my 7.5" has a faux elk horn grips and was bought through Cimarron but still a Uberti made gun. Very good guns be stick to standard loads with no +P or Ruger Loads as it like the real colts can't handle it. I often shoot black powder with mine also.
Joe
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:The difference is the way you remove the cylinder pin. The new model has the spring activate button you simply depress while the old model had the screw type which was sometimes a problem because they could walk out. Oh and I have 3 of them, a 4.75", 5.5" and 7.5" barreled version all 45 Colt, case hardened/blued finish and my 7.5" has a faux elk horn grips and was bought through Cimarron but still a Uberti made gun. Very good guns be stick to standard loads with no +P or Ruger Loads as it like the real colts can't handle it. I often shoot black powder with mine also.
My gun is the same Uberti revolver action with a rifle butt stock & an 18" barrel.
It is a very attractive gun.
It has adjustable target sights and is very accurate but those cylinder walls are pretty thin so I just use standard 45LC ammo.
I'll use it for a < 50 yard deer gun.
Years before the gun magazine gurus told everyone a deer wouldn't die unless shot with a super-duper magnum gun pushing a fancy premium bullet at warp factor velocities my own grandad use to take a buck deer each & every year almost to the day they put the coppers on his eyes with a real Winchester model 92 in 25-20 caliber.
The bullet hole itself was the only meat damaged in grampas deer according to my dad who has since cut up & wrapped deer with a front quarter destroyed by a super-duper magnum rifle in the wrong hands.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

jmay wrote:I think the 357 is little sturdier than 45 due to being designed on same frame and cylinder but only being bored to fit 357 it leaves quite a bit of extra metal. At list that's what I have heard!
Makes sense that would be the case.
Too bad the 45 caliber models weren't a little more robust.
The gun would make a decent 50 yard deer gun.
I'll use it for that any way.....shot placement will be everything.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
jmay wrote:I think the 357 is little sturdier than 45 due to being designed on same frame and cylinder but only being bored to fit 357 it leaves quite a bit of extra metal. At list that's what I have heard!
Makes sense that would be the case.
Too bad the 45 caliber models weren't a little more robust.
The gun would make a decent 50 yard deer gun.
I'll use it for that any way.....shot placement will be everything.
The reason is the are replicas of the original 1873 SAA and other than modern steels etc they are the same as the originals which where all Colt guns. They might be a bit more robust that you think if you watch this also keep in mind Italian as most European ammo is a bit stronger than our USA made stuff. Now I do believe a 45 Colt loaded with black powder can stop a deer as they sure have stopped a horse of two over the century or so they have been around. It is just a matter of distance and accuracy I would think.
Joe
jmay

Post by jmay »

Joec exactly! A horse is a big dang animal. In those days 45 killed from grizz to snakes!
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

jmay wrote:Joec exactly! A horse is a big dang animal. In those days 45 killed from grizz to snakes!
I wouldn't be hesitant to use my 18" bbl 1873 revolver +guns carbine for deer hunting.
The video indicates to me that the Uberti 1873 revolver action (which is the same one used in the carbine) is well built.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by joec »

pricedo wrote:
jmay wrote:Joec exactly! A horse is a big dang animal. In those days 45 killed from grizz to snakes!
I wouldn't be hesitant to use my 18" bbl 1873 revolver +guns carbine for deer hunting.
The video indicates to me that the Uberti 1873 revolver action (which is the same one used in the carbine) is well built.
Actually other than the 454 Casull the 45 Colt is probably the best black bear gun made, that is the Ruger Blackhawk shooting the bullets from 280 gr to 325 gr. I recently read and article by a guy that uses it for Black bear. He tells of a friend that thought the 357 mag with modern JHP would do the job. He is lucky he survived it after he empties his gun the bear gave him a pretty good butt whipping before his hunting partner got a shot with a rifle. It really is a rather funny story as in April 2013 issue of Handloader Magazine. The article is called "Six Guns and Proven .45 Colt Handgun Loads for Hunting Bear". I also have a feeling that Ranch Dogs 290 gr bullet would also fill the bill from a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt loaded to Ranch Dogs level of loads for them.
Joe