Best high pressure 45-70?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Best high pressure 45-70?

Post by pricedo »

Ranch Dog wrote:If I was a fellow with any expertise or tools and had to choose between the R92 and an RG, I would choose the RG. I don't consider the RG a kit gun like I do the R92. My 454 Casull has turned into a "build your own" rifle. I will like it when it is done but had I seen what was coming, I would not have bought it.
My RG which is a 30-30 was full of grease, cuttings and a mixture of what appeared to be rust & dirt but after the clean-up and the removal of 2 metal burrs (carrier & inside wall of receiver) it has been fantastic.
A chap at my gun club has 2 RGs ..............1 in 410 gauge shotgun and the other a 45-70 and has been complaining about feeding problems................I told him to bring them next time out & I'd look at them..........this guy couldn't figure out what end of a nail to stick in the wood let alone strip & clean a gun so I feel another CHARITY CASE cleaning & deburring job coming up. :mrgreen:
Sorry your 92/454 has been such a PITA RD but I think that like me you like the challenge of CVA kit guns...........I built 2 of them (CVA kits) & sold them way back when I was a 40 year old teenybopper because at the time I didn't shoot black powder.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

pricedo wrote:Sorry your 92/454 has been such a PITA RD but I think that like me you like the challenge of CVA kit guns...........I built 2 of them (CVA kits) & sold them way back when I was a 40 year old teenybopper because at the time I didn't shoot black powder.
Man this thing is whipping my butt!
Michael
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

My Amadeo Rossi M92 in 454C was good other than the usual clean-up & very little deburring & polishing.
Slapped on & rubbed in a little double boiled linseed oil and she's a fine looker & shooter.
I don't know if a gun can snicker but I swear at times my 92/454 does every time it whacks me on the shoulder to remind me that it ain't no 22LR.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

joec wrote:
pricedo wrote:My sources (including this board) indicate that the Rio Grande rifles in 45-70 are loaded with problems.
My RG in 30-30 has been fantastic.
I also have to disagree with that since mine is perhaps the best finished gun I've owned in my life that wasn't hand made. I had two minor fixes lighten the loading gate and polish one small area on the carrier. Nothing else done and that took about 2 minutes to do both.
In general you CAN'T assess Rossi firearms as a group cause there is so much variance from gun to gun.
One Rossi off the rack could be near perfect and the identical looking gun beside it a defective piece of junk.
The collective statements "Rossi rifles are good" OR "Rossi rifles are bad" are meaningless.
After thorough evaluation & testing it is relevant to say "This particular Rossi 92 I'm holding in my hands is a good one" OR "This particular Rossi 92 I'm holding in my hands needs some work" OR "This particular Rossi 92 I'm holding in my hands is junk" as the case might be.
Only evaluation statements referencing specific guns have any validity where QC is so lacking in a brand name.
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA