Saw this on another forum thought I would post it here.

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Saw this on another forum thought I would post it here.

Post by akuser47 »

Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Saw this on another forum thought I would post it here.

Post by Barry in IN »

When the .500 S&W came out, I didn't much care. But thought right away it would be a neat levergun round. Or in a Ruger #3.
David Clay's (DRC) website shows a new lever action rifle he is going to make, and one of the calibers is .500 S&W.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The biggest issue is most lever gun people I know like to shot lead or at least like the option to be able to. I don't know that there is a lead mix alloy yet than can handle the pressures of the 500S&W I am not a lead guy so much not yet anyways so I sm sure RD will chime in here soon to this info. I also am not familiar with the pressures of this round. Here is the wiki of 500S&W round and it is interesting for sure. I bet there is something of a lead alloy mix that could handle this if gas checked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.500_S%26W_Magnum
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

Barry in IN wrote:When the .500 S&W came out, I didn't much care. But thought right away it would be a neat levergun round. Or in a Ruger #3.
David Clay's (DRC) website shows a new lever action rifle he is going to make, and one of the calibers is .500 S&W.
NEF/H&R makes a break-open action single shot in 500 S&W.

Less than $300. :D

I think those DRC leverguns are like the Wild West and Turnbull custom guns............$$$$mucho dollaros$$$$.

Just popped into their website.......the levergun on the home page was over $2500...........I didn't linger long.

The Big Horn Armory website is not quoting any prices.......they want you to call them..........that's never a good sign.

Their guns look pretty fancy so I can guess they are in the same league as WWG, Turnbull & DRC in regards to price.

I'd rather order a Rossi 92/454 & get the tool box out ......a day after the Rossi came home with me and the work bench dust cleared I'd have just as good a gun and have saved over $2000.

THE ROSSI EQUATION:
Rossi 92 + toolbox + elbow grease + about 4 hrs time (average) + $400 = DRC/Turnbull/WWG custom gun + $2500
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I do agree for the money I think it can be better spent on other high power options. I figured I would start the ball on this though I think it would be cool if rossi would do a 500S&W lever :idea:
Barry in IN
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Barry in IN »

Yeah, I was gonna mention that price thing, but it was more fun to just throw it out there and let you guys find it and see it with your own eyes.
By the way, that $2495...that's $2495 and up.

AKuser- You can get cast to work in about anything. If I, with little casting experience, can get cast to shoot in guns from .223 to .375 H&H and .45-70, and function in ARs, AKs, and even an M1941 Johnson (actually that was easy), anybody can. The fastest I've gone is the mid-2200 fps range, which I think is within the range of what I've seen for .500 S&W rifles.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

akuser47 wrote:I do agree for the money I think it can be better spent on other high power options. I figured I would start the ball on this though I think it would be cool if rossi would do a 500S&W lever :idea:
Is there a 500 S&W barrel for the Rossi Wizard?
If there isn't there should be.
If I was going to spend $2500 on a 50 caliber custom levergun it would be in 50 Alaskan not 500 S&W.
Yah, a Rossi 92/500 would be nice but would really be a duplication in the functionality currently being covered over by the 92/454 & the 92/480.
How many wheels does the 92 big-bore pistol caliber bicycle need? .............it's already got 2........the 454 & 480.
Can't see many ordinary people who own either the 454 or 480 92 shelling out the dough for a 500 S&W.
Rossi rifles usually appeal to the budget crowd who don't have a lot of spare cash in the cookie jar. :mrgreen:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yes but a wheel is only as good as all the spokes that support it. :lol: If there is a niche then there is a market for it as this and many other anomalies of the gun market there are out there. I agree trust me those calibers menntioned by you do defeat the purpuse of this gun in this caliber but if they can why not. +guns guns blazing let the coroner sort it out. :lol: We are all here for our own niche in the market so why not feed another? +corn
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

If you guys like dislocated shoulders and neck braces I've got good news for you ...........I hear Wild West Guns has a couple of heavy hitters on the drawing board namely customized Browning BLRs in 375 Ruger and 416 Taylor.
Should make anything in 500 S&W seem like a BB gun.
I hate to imagine what the price tag will be. :shock:
I'm sure their switchboard will be lighting up with your advance orders. :lol:
I'll pass..........my shoulder Image is still on the mend from my last range session with "The Clydesdale" (my 7.5 pound Savage bolt action in 375 Ruger). :shock: :shock:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Rooster59
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Rooster59 »

pricedo wrote:
Barry in IN wrote:When the .500 S&W came out, I didn't much care. But thought right away it would be a neat levergun round. Or in a Ruger #3.
NEF/H&R makes a break-open action single shot in 500 S&W.

Less than $300. :D

I think those DRC leverguns are like the Wild West and Turnbull custom guns............$$$$mucho dollaros$$$$.

Just popped into their website.......the levergun on the home page was over $2500...........I didn't linger long.

The Big Horn Armory website is not quoting any prices.......they want you to call them..........that's never a good sign.

Their guns look pretty fancy so I can guess they are in the same league as WWG, Turnbull & DRC in regards to price.

I'd rather order a Rossi 92/454 & get the tool box out ......a day after the Rossi came home with me and the work bench dust cleared I'd have just as good a gun and have saved over $2000.

THE ROSSI EQUATION:
Rossi 92 + toolbox + elbow grease + about 4 hrs time (average) + $400 = DRC/Turnbull/WWG custom gun + $2500
+1 pricedo. My sentiments exactly.

Jeff
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me." Willard Duncan Vandiver