New upper from Palmetto State Arms

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
alphalimafoxtrot

New upper from Palmetto State Arms

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey guys - long time since I posted - and I apologize. Will get back later on to add a halfway decent excuse letter, like the kids give me at school sometimes.... :mrgreen:

Anyway - here's a few pics of the new addition to the gun family at my house. It is a mid-length PSA upper, standard M4 specs except for the mid-length forearm and you know the sight radius etc. It's just regular 5.56, but the price was right on including bolt so I splurged. It is on top of the Anderson lower I built a few years back from parts I collected.

No range time yet - but it all fits and dry functions fine. Have a great day all!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: New upper from Palmetto State Arms

Post by Archer »

Nice,
So what's the lower you are tacking it to in the pictures and is it going to be 'complete' or is it a spare upper?

I have a similar PSA upper but with the SS version of that barrel a few years ago. I've modified it during assembly somewhat and changed a few more things as the laws here changed. It is currently built with a Magpul MOE handguard, MOE carbine stock with the adjustments locked out, Monsterman fin grip, and VG6 Gamma brake to keep me on the right side of CA's stupid assault weapon regulations. It has a carry handle rear sight, Bavo Company medium charging handle and Battle Arms Development ambi selector on a mil-spec lower with a Bravo Company end plate with a single point sling attachment and Magpul trigger guard. The ambi safety is something I like but it is almost required by the silly posterior fin grips. The Gamma is about the same diameter as the birdcage so a bayonet can still be mounted. The gun has worked without fail since I got it assembled the first time and the only things I've changed have been cosmetic required by legal changes.

The Midlength gas system is a bit longer and possibly gentler than the carbine setup. Also the Midlength means that a bayonet mounts well where on a carbine length system with a 16" barrel the bayonet mounts so that the blade is half behind the flash hider or you need an extension adapter.

The ARs are like Leggo sets, once you put one together you find yourself picking up more parts to do another one and like potato chips you find yourself not stopping with one or two.

I just finished a PSA PA-10 build except for the rear sight and/or dot sight addition.
I haven't gotten it to the range yet, so I don't know if I'm gong to have to change the recoil spring and buffer yet or not.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I built another one the other day just because when it was slow at work.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Wheeee!
Czechbikr

Post by Czechbikr »

Parts and complete uppers and lowers have seldom been less expensive than this last year. Pinning together a complete upper and lower can be done for much less than 400.00. Add the sights/optics that are desired and you have a ton of range fun. Factory ammo at .25-.30 per round. If anyone hasn't jumped in yet, now may be the time to do it. The .300 BLK pistols are a very versatile gun also for home defense.

Congratulation on the new carbine!
ethang

Post by ethang »

I may or may not have a PSA that has run great for a thousand or so rounds. They are a decent rifle and whatever your thoughts might be, it could be a good idea to invest in one and some mags and ammo. Still love my levers though.
Plastic has no soul...
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My latest upper acquisition is a ATI 410 upper. It's been fun and a challenge. Took it squirrel hunting a few time back in the fall, get odd looks and had to show a warden that it is in deed a shotgun. A challenge because not all 2 1/2 410 ammo is created equal. Had to go through a few different brands to make it happy. Fortunately the Mossberg 510 likes everything.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
alphalimafoxtrot

Guys,
thanks for checking in on this post. Yes this complete PSA upper came with standard M16-type bolt and generic Mil-spec parts. M4 chamber etc. The lower it is now mated with is a Anderson AM-15 I built up a few years back.
Anderson_LPK3.jpg
Anderson_LPK1.jpg
Only splurge beyond the basic stuff was my pretty generic Magpul MOE stock. I guess I also bought a Spikes Tactical buffer for some reason, I think it was a sale thing at the LGS I frequent.

Did take it out for a spin at the Myrtle Grove WMA in Charles County, and it ran three mags of generic Winchester 5.56 like a champ. But that was a day when I was mostly shooting my 92 Rossi with my 357/38 reloads, so that was what I spent most time on. Fun day!

So yeah, the gun shoots fine. Kinda funny though I was shooting with no rear sight LOL since I gelled and did not yet get the low-profile UTG rear sight, but hey it was fun anyway! Don't laugh too hard - it was a function test thing anyway.

Was really stoked that the 92 Rossi was flipping the 357/38 reloads no matter how they always went bang and fed fine. That had been a problem a while ago before I did some home gunsmithing.

OK back to the laundry etc!

Adam
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
alphalimafoxtrot

Forgot to add: this is indeed the time to splurge and buy some AR stuff - especially notice the variety of stripped lowers out there. Do it while you can - if you have the cash - it's going to be worth it long run. From a guy in a new "battleground" state - Virginia - oh man.

Adam
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've been buying a few AR receivers and some spare parts from time to time for a decade or more.

Having spare parts gets me in trouble since I have a Lower Parts Kit, a barrel, BCG, gas tube and block and I start saying to myself:
'________ is running a special on Lowers.' ...
'I could use that pull off stock in the parts bin, buy a fin, get a few more parts and those spare parts could be a spare complete upper and complete lower and that's a spare gun inside of a few seconds if needed."

Then I end up upgrading the stock, getting another spare LPK for parts and so on...

I had two AR-15s before CA passed their version of the AWB back in the day.

I had several I built as bullet button guns before CA passed the second ban and switched both the ARs and other semi auto types I'd built with buttons to featureless before it took effect.

To be honest, other than building what I've got I might be at the point where I don't really NEED more.

In the small receivers:

I've built several 5.56 or .223 Wylde guns mostly with 16" or 18" mid length barrels.
Plus parts for more including another completed upper and several barrels counting a White Oak SPR plus BCGs and so forth.

I've built a couple 6.5 Grendel caliber guns. Plus there's couple additional barrels and three or so extra BCGs etc..

I've built from parts a 12.7x42. Plus just picked up a completed upper. I need to change out the muzzle device on the upper.

I've built a 7.62x39 using an AR Stoner kit. Really don't have plans to build any more. Other than possibly being easier to get ammo for anything this gun will do the Grendel will do better.

I think I've got a few additional lowers and uppers to use those barrels mentioned above on.

Large receivers:
I've built two 7.62 NATOs one completely from scratch using an AeroPrecision receiver set and one using a PSA parts kit and lower. The PSA needs a rear BUS and a cowitness dot sight.

I'm building another 7.62 NATO with a second upper receiver in .243 at present. I need a couple nitnoid parts to complete it the way I want it. I've got scopes waiting to be mounted on both uppers when it is done.

I've got parts for 3 more including receiver sets, 7.62 barrels, handguards, muzzle devices, BCGs and LPKs. Plus another .243 barrel and will probably build that one as a switch upper which means I'll need another Aero M5 upper, handguard and MAYBE muzzle device at a minimum. More if I build it as a full up gun or if I want a dedicated BCG.

When it comes to the large receiver sets I've got 4 different not entirely compatible brands of sets. Aero Precision, Mega, Matrix and PSA. Mega was great but expensive and ZEV has absorbed them and they are if anything even more expensive now. Matrix was inexpensive and a similar cut but NOT compatible with Mega. PSA was running a parts kit I just couldn't turn down. I think even with the lower AND replacing all the furniture with MagPul plus taxes and shipping and DROS fees the gun was still sub $700.

I'd sort of like to make one in 7mm08 but getting a barrel is a bit expensive. The companies I've seen offering them run about twice what a quality 7.62 barrel runs or four times what a bargain barrel runs.

I don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor and although I sort of like the 6.5 caliber and have a couple 6.5x55 bolt guns and the Grendel types mentioned above I'm sort of not wanting to add another caliber with the associated ammo and reloading equipment and components, especially while I'm in CA. To be honest I'm not convinced that the 6.5 Grendel, Creedmoor, or ANY of the big bore or straight walled AR-15 calibers from the Beowulf, Bushmaster and SOCOM down to .350 Win Legend are going to make the leap to long term popular.

260 Remington was almost exactly the same as the Creedmoor round and it appears to be just about dead.
The past three or four gunshows I've been to the ammo vendors have sold slap out of Grendel. A couple weeks ago they went through 1200 rounds before Noon the first day.
I've been asking for Beowulf at the shows with nearly nothing the past couple years or so but last show they had plastic boxes in 200 count at a buck a round and half size ones with 100 rounds in them for a buck thirty a round. IF I hadn't finally gotten around to buying 500 pieces of brass to load I've have picked up at least a couple cans. I did pick up a couple hundred rounds.