Any experience with Ammo Valley?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Orizjeyn

Any experience with Ammo Valley?

Post by Orizjeyn »

I ordered a sampling (9mm, 45, 38) of reman ammo from Ammo Valley https://tradocnews.org/ammo-valley-reviews/ that just came in today. Hope to get a chance to shoot some next week to see how well it functions.

Overall the ammo is visually pretty good. The 45 and 38 is very clean and shiny with the 9mm having some light scattered small stain spots on some of the brass. There are some minor dings to the bullets copper jackets here and there fairly typical of bulk assorted and bagged ammo. Head stamps are pretty much anything and everything from Winchester, Remington, Blazer, Federal, etc and so on. Some of the primers are set at slightly different depths but this appears to be more along the lines of the specific brass (and its respective pocket depth) that was used instead of a manufacturing flaw.

So does anyone have any experience with this ammo company and how well their ammo actually shoots? Online there were mostly positive reviews from actual customers and users of their products. The bulk of the negative reviews were from people who had no experience with the company other than to throw out their opinions of "remaned ammo".

I know the proof will be in the pudding in the next week or so when I can actually get to the range myself but I am interested to find out if anyone on this forum has been there already.
Last edited by Orizjeyn on 01 Nov 2019 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Any experience with Ammo Valley?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I ordered a batch of 40 S&W from Ammo Valley several years ago. It worked fine.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Not to sound rude but if you're buying reman you should likely be assembling your own.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I would like to respectfully disagree. I buy reman on occasion from reputable suppliers to save time and money. I don’t hand load to save money, I do it because I can’t buy cartridges with the bullets or velocities that I want. For me, it’s a meticulous, fiddly process. I have no interest in setting up a production line to spit out cartridges that are just as good as I can buy. We all have our own motivations.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

My indoor range sells remans from Midwest and when I feel the need to burn through a bunch and not chase brass I'll go for it. My range is one of their sources for fired brass and so you have no idea how many times it's been shot. Except for what bounces into my range box I let it lay.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I am not a fan of commercial remanufactured ammunition in general.
I've seen too many loads where the bullets impact due to a lack of neck tension.
I've seen a few squib loads.

I've seen a lot of guns come into the shop where someone let their neighbor reload for them and a bullet or six got lodged in the barrel or a 125 grain bullet got loaded instead of a 100 grain one and components were broken or jammed in place. (Luckily on that one nobody got hurt.) Or someone shot lead reloads through a Beretta 92 until the barrel was so leaded it KBed. Or shooting lead through a 40 caliber Glock and XD to the point where it took hours of mechanical and chemical scrubbing to get it clean. I've seen guys learning to reload have the scale weights walk a half a grain or more in a single box of pistol rounds.

I'm pretty picky about what I shoot through my guns and even more so when it comes to letting other people shoot through my guns. When I've got newbies out I usually stick to factory.
I do reload for my own use and I've got a couple four folks I taught to reload that I would trust their reloads.

I'm even cautious about first run ammo produced by smaller companies and companies that produce remanufactured ammo.
Black Hills and Georgia Arms are IMO two of the best of those and I respect them.

After checking the forums and Youtube for reviews and comments I did purchased from Ammo Valley in several calibers, mostly first run but also some remanufactured ammo. This includes two orders, totaling several thousand rounds.
I have been impressed by what I received. I purchased several thousand 9x19mm, a couple thousand 10mm Auto and something like 4-5K .380 Auto and a few rifle rounds in .243 and maybe another caliber or two a few years ago.
So far I have had zero problems with their loads. Good function and no blems, no loose bullets, no impacted bullets after chambering and no variation of recoil or report that I've seen.
The ammo in general was cleaner than many of the commercial reloads I've come into contact with. I'm not talking firing residue but the loaded cartridges themselves. Not totally clean like GA or BH I've handled but not bad.
I have not purchased anything in the past year since CA got more stupid about ammo shipments and so forth.

I've also heard good things about LAX ammo and I've purchased some of their production when I couldn't get factory loads during the Bush/Obama years. They are a good outfit and I know folks who have toured their facility.

That said, I remain cautious about ammo from smaller providers.
As I have said, I used to pick up some reloads from ranges in and around the Atlanta area and stopped after a few boxes due to lack of consistency and quality concerns.
Several of the big box sporting goods stores used to sell 3D remanufactured ammunition but after a box or two I made a point to buy Winchester or Federal instead.
I tried a box or two of AAA headstamp (USA Ammo? All American Ammo?) in .45 ACP a decade or two ago and refused to use them after that. Within a year or three accounts of KBs from their ammunition were all over the web.
I've heard one of the SoCal reload brands lost their ammunition manufacturing license a year or two ago due to quality issues.

In general, I think most of the companies try to do a good job. Nobody wants to put out substandard product.
I think it is easier to produce straight walled pistol ammunition with virgin brass - first run ammo.
I think reloading straight walled pistol ammunition is easier than producing almost any bottle necked rifle ammunition. Several factors come into play including belling and crimping and inspection steps that are easier to mess up reusing brass than first run ammo.

I think buying reloaded 5.56 may be rolling the dice as the chances of problems are increased quite a bit.