Spree...

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Spree...

Post by Archer »

I realize this is bringing back a comment from the early days of this thread in 2018 but...
Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, Harris is a nutbag.
Are we going to start a pool as to how long before it is officially the Harris administration?

There was speculation among the press that if Biden lasted two years Harris could finish out his term and then get elected in her own name twice. I think Biden is already past his spoil by date and I figure he'll last something between six months to a year unless he's hiding in the basement communicating by prerecorded video tape.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Have the upper from the matched set assembled using the .243 barrel.
This upper uses external threads and mates with a DPMS High patter rail.
I opened another Midwest rail to try the barrel nut out of that one and it lined up differently but still would not index within the torque limits of 30 to 60 inch pounds.
I tried both barrel nuts with a thin shim and still had problems getting it indexed properly.
Using a thick shim I got it aligned with the second barrel nut at around 40 in-lb.

The ONLY reason for barrel nut alignment with this system is that the handguard has four small tangs that index off the barrel nut AND those same index points must align with the gas tube hole in the upper receiver.

I installed a rifle length gas tube in a low profile gas block and got that aligned and installed on the barrel.

Got the VG6 Gamma 6.5 installed with a crush washer and indexed.
This is the upper that came with the Mega charging handle.
Dropped in the Fail Zero BCG after lubing it.

Pretty easy in the end but it involved taking the barrel nut off and on about six times to get the alignment right. Switching the plate wrench from the torque wrench to the flex handle each time. Would have required either a few more barrel nuts or lapping the end of the upper without the shims.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Have the unitized upper assembled with the .308 Rainier Ultra Match barrel.
This upper uses an internal barrel nut thread.

The barrel is inserted into the upper and seated to the barrel extension flange as verified through a witness port on the bottom of the upper. The lubricated barrel nut is threaded inside to lock the barrel in place. Using the plate barrel wrench 65 inch lbs of torque on the torque wrench applies 75 inch pounds on the barrel nut. Loosen and repeat 'to stretch or season the threads' and torque again for final application and done. No clocking alignment required on this one.

The gas block and gas tube are installed. (25 inch pounds on the set screws)
The handguard mounts to a monument that is integral to the upper with 6 screws. The instructions state the top two screws nearest the receiver should be inserted first for alignment. Torque 25-30 inch pounds.

Lubricate the muzzle threads and install the VG6 Gamma .308 muzzle brake with a crush washer. The alignment of this break was around 5 degrees short of correct with the included crush washer. By changing crush washers I was able to find one that aligned about 30 degrees off. Otherwise I'd have felt the need to adjust the crush washer to avoid having to crush the washer by a full turn that might cause excess stress or a constriction at the muzzle.

I decided to use the Radian Raptor charging handle on this gun.
Fail Zero BCG installed.

This assembly was a quick cake walk compared to the other one.

On to the lowers.
NavyDoc76-80
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by NavyDoc76-80 »

Archer wrote:I realize this is bringing back a comment from the early days of this thread in 2018 but...
Ranch Dog wrote:Yeah, Harris is a nutbag.
Are we going to start a pool as to how long before it is officially the Harris administration?

There was speculation among the press that if Biden lasted two years Harris could finish out his term and then get elected in her own name twice. I think Biden is already past his spoil by date and I figure he'll last something between six months to a year unless he's hiding in the basement communicating by prerecorded video tape.
+of Now that’s funny and concerning at the same time.
Dave M
--//--
Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.
John Adams

20" SS .357
16" SS .44
20" SS .45C
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah,
The speculation I'm hearing is now that they've got Biden elected with Harris as the VP their new goal is to get Biden out and it's just a matter of timing.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I 'completed' the lower with the carbine stock.
Completed in quotes because I currently have a Mil-spec carbine stock on it and I'll be changing that out for a MagPul MOE carbine stock that I hope is sitting at a friend's place right now.

This build started with the Mega MATEN lower. I removed the bolt stop and installed the mag release then reinstalled the bolt stop same as above.
I went ahead and swapped the LaRue heavy trigger spring onto the LaRue trigger assembly and installed the trigger easily.
The hammer was a bit more work but the Obsidian guide pin lined it up to take the hammer pin nicely and left me with a little extra effort getting the pin lined up on the opposite side of the receiver.
Sons of Liberty ambi safety was cake. As was the Magpul pistol grip and Goliath CA compliant grip wrap.
Added a VLTOR 5 position carbine buffer tube with a BCM end plate and had to scavenge a castle nut off a AR-15 buffer tube kit because the spare I thought I had wasn't in evidence. I should have a replacement sitting in the same box with the Magpul stock at my friend's place. cut and installed a Strike Industries Stock Stop strip in the buffer tube that blocks out all but one adjustment hole for CA compliance so that the stock will no longer be collapsible.

Put a Mil-spec carbine stock on it as a place holder until I get the Magpul in house. There are a couple other options I've got on hand I could have used as a place holder but this one is a perpetual spare.

The LaRue with the heavy spring is quite a bit heavier than either the SSA-E or the LaRue with the light spring. The takeup on the 2 state LaRue is a bit stiff but the break is still crisp and takes only a little more effort than the take up. I went with the heavy spring because I see this lower as being the field stock for these uppers. The if I ever take it hunting stock where as I see the PRS stock above as more of the setup for longer range, set position, bench and varmint use.

Still need to get the optics on them and then need to get them to the range and get them sighted in.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I've got some pictures I need to upload on these last two or three and a few priors.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Some of the supporting pictures:
More or less the way I started out with the ultra heavy .243 installed and a few weeks back I had swapped out the .308 barrel for a hand fit with the heavy .243 barrel.
IMG_3737.JPG
Just the barrels. At the top is the ultra heavy fluted 5lb Plus 24" .243. Below that is the 243 heavy profile 20". On the bottom is the .308 Rainier Ultra Match 20". As I noted before the 'standard heavy' barrels run around 3 to 3.1 lbs and the 24" fluted .243 barrel is running 5lbs plus.
IMG_3741.JPG
The boxed receiver and handguard parts.
IMG_3743.JPG
View showing what's in the boxes. The anodize on the Mega parts is about as good as any I've seen for a mil spec ano. The anodize on the Midwest is good but is a very flat finish with some tooth.
IMG_3744.JPG
Matched Mega MATEN upper and lower receiver set. Note the presence of the charging handle, receiver pins and the bolt stop. The takedown pin is installed using a plug screw so that the dentent spring is captured. Tensioning screw and ejection port cover installed but not shown.
IMG_3746.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

More pre build pictures.
Mega MATEN lower receiver with tension screw uninstalled. As before receiver pins and bolt stop are installed.
IMG_3747.JPG
Mega MATEN Monolithic upper set showing barrel nut wrench and rail section. To the right of the show picture is a pocket with the screws for attaching the handguard to the upper. The barrel nut is threaded into the upper. Not shown but the upper receiver ejection port cover is installed.
IMG_3749sm.JPG
Midwest .308 DPMS High Keymod 15" rifle length handguard. Note the barrel nut at the LHS of the guard. You can see two of the alignment tabs on the handguard overlapping the nut. Inside the RHS of the guard is a package containing a rail section, two Allen wrenches and a tube of gap filling locktite for installation of the rail. At the upper LHS inside the package is the plate wrench for installation of the barrel nut. I have used several of the Midwest handguards both for .308s and for AR-15s. Their AR-15 ones are easier to install than the .308 ones.
IMG_3752.JPG
The various loose parts I expected to use on this build before I started. Not shown is the Magpul MOE Carbine stock and Strike Industries Stock Stop and shown but not used is a Battle Arms Development ambi selector, Magpul MOE Fixed Carbine stock, a Magpul extended buttpad, 2 Aero Precision extended mag catch buttons, Strike Industries Simple grip, A BCM extended charging handle and a mil-spec .308 charging handle.
IMG_3771.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Here's a few more pictures.

Installing the gas tube in the gas block. A portable vise on a 2x6 C clamped to a near dead desk chair that just happens to be pretty damned solid.
Using the widget tool that allows the gas block to be tightened to the tool where it can be held in the vise at multiple angles to drive the roll pin.
I used a roll pin holder to start the pin, followed by a flat punch, followed by a roll pin punch to center the pin.
IMG_3778.JPG
The witness window on the bottom of the enhanced upper receiver. You can see the Geissele reaction rod on the LHS The window allows you to see the flange on the barrel and verify it butts up against a ledge inside the receiver. A flashlight is VERY helpful on this!
IMG_3782.JPG
The completed uppers side by side. 243 Winchester on top. .308 Winchester below.
IMG_3783.JPG
The Carbine lower with the 243 upper. Temporary placeholder mil-spec stock.
IMG_3786 (2)sm.JPG
Muzzle device and barrel marking on the .243.
IMG_3789.JPG