Conceal Carry Help

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
vvllbs

Conceal Carry Help

Post by vvllbs »

I’m a big believer in concealed carry. Very seldom do I carry on my person, but I need to re-evaluate that. I buy, sell and trade firearms on a regular basis, that keeps me in the loop with the latest trends. While I do own semis and revolvers, I feel more comfortable with a revolver. Being a shade under 6 foot tall and kind of thin, its really hard to conceal comfortably. I’ve tried many guns and only my little KelTec p32 is easy to hide. You’ll find out I’m kind of a cheapskate. While I enjoy my little 32, but should my life and most importantly others lives depend on a $250 semi auto. I’m looking for a rig that functions flawless and is easy to conceal. Prefer a wheel gun but may have to try an auto. Would appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: Conceal Carry Help

Post by mr surveyor »

as one that's been CCing for quite a few years, I can tell you that you will most likely have to change your daily dress code. Since concealed carry means "concealed", you may have to consider having to wear some type of cover garment .... as wearing a tee shirt with an un-tucked button up shirt to cover the firearm .... unless you submit to either pocket carry of a "micro" (limits quick availability) or a "tuckable" IWB holster with a generally dubbed "compact" handgun (also limits availability in my opinion). With the cover shirt, or jacket (cooler weather), most any normal carry gun is easy to conceal.

Up until I realized that every day carry, 24/7, was becoming the thing for me to do, I wore nothing but jeans and tucked polo shirts or tee-shirts (warm weather, which is 8-9 months per year here). It was a bit of a lifestyle change when my daily dress code had to change ... but it did change.

I rotate between a 3" SP-101, a Kahr 9mm, a S&W J-Frame, and occasionally a 4" 1911. Either IWB or OWB. They all carry well with the proper cover clothing.

Just my experiences ....

jd

edit to add ... the J-frame gets carried in the top of my left boot (when my normal cowboy boots are worn for "social occasions"), no matter which of the other favorite carry guns are on my belt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

All great advice JD.

I carry all kinds of different handguns; from the 25 Auto through the 45 Auto to include a 32 Auto. The only handgun that isn't carried in a slide or paddle holster, which is outside the waistband (OWB), is the 25 Auto. That particular pistol is the Taurus 25PLY which was specifically designed for pocket carry. Not quite true, my Taurus TCP, a 32 Auto and 380 Auto, came with a Bulldog pouch which I wear when there is no other way to hide a handgun. For instance, a tucked in shirt in dress pants. I have a dark navy and a blue denim Bulldog, and neither is very noticeable or out of place when worn. With practice, it is also one of the fastest holsters you will draw from.

Let me catch up with a few pictures and a video.

Taurus 25PLY, the only pistol I've found that is truly designed for pocket carry whether dress pants or blue jeans. It is only offered in 22 LR now.

Slide holster (Bulldog), whether slide or paddle (which slides over the belt/pants), I use true gun belts. That is often not mentioned.

The Bulldog Pouch, your P32 would fit.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]

I'm pretty much an "any gun will do" guy, more like an "any cartridge will do" guy. I know readers are scoffing about the 25 Auto, but I've been carrying since the '70s and it is the only cartridge that I've used to defend myself. I can assure you it is deadly and effective in trained hands. My reservation with the particular pistol mention is that it falls out of my "must haves" for a semi-auto so it rests in a pocket when there is no other choice. Given the performance I've seen with a 25 Auto, I have no reservation carrying a 32 Auto especially in a very crowded environment, one of my cartridge considerations for carry. I know of a fellow that killed a bystander in a self defense shooting because he didn't consider the performance of his cartridge on what's downrange.

My "must haves" for a semi-autos are:
  • "Double strike", if the primer doesn't go off I want to be able to pull the trigger again without manipulating the slide.
  • Slide lock
  • Slide lock after last round is fired.
This is where my 25PLY comes up short as do the P32 and 3AT when I shot them. The 25PLY gets a no-pass on all three, clearing malfunctions is almost impossible in a defensive action. I know others that use it and they always point out the tip barrel, but the bad thing about that feature on a pistol is that with a Type III malfunction, one round chambered and one round caught between it and the slide if you tip the barrel, the slide will depart the firearm.

Notice forward half of slide has departed frame.

Ranch Dog wrote:My "must haves" for a semi-autos are:
  • "Double strike", if the primer doesn't go off I want to be able to pull the trigger again without manipulating the slide.
  • Slide lock
  • Slide lock after last round is fired.
I did look at the P32, 3AT, and the LCP and they did not meet my standards. I guess what I'm saying, if I'm going to carry a small compact, it is going to have full-size pistol features.

I always carry two spare magazines in a pouch no matter the capacity of the magazines. Remember, it might not be a matter of more ammo, it probably is going be the matter of stripping a magazine out of the stock to clear a malfunction plus in a defensive situation you will want to perform a tactical reload as you will have lost count of what has come out of the magazine in use.

Finally, seek formal defensive training. The more aggressive the better.

Oh revolvers, I carry one but not before I mastered speed loaders. The handgun is a Rossi 351 38 Spl.

Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I am slight but my Shield 9 wears well in a front pocket.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I prefer a 1911 IWB, but my lower back problems pretty much discourage that. The weight on my hip causes issues. Being fat doesn't help.

I don't carry often anyway, try to avoid areas/people where I'd need to. When I do, it's often a Bersa .380 in my front pocket. But I've always got 2-3 in my truck.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I used to carry my 1911 full size owb. Now I commonly carry a g26 in a leather galco OWB its tight to my fat frame with very little disclosure of firearm out line if you can line it up on your waist like I do. I am a big guy gut and all so I girth aiding me to hide mine. Unfortunately every ones bodies are different, and it is a personal preference on how you are comfortable to carry. Me I forget I have my g26 on me its that comfortable on me. I am happy when I can get a clean draw and wear it as if its not there. Keep us posted on what you get.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

At 5'10" 147 I cant hide much but I carried a full size 1911 OWB today because of this topic. I'd like to know how anyone wears a full size 1911 while driving. A minor accident and I'll have broken ribs and a punctured lung. Obviously I should unholster when I sit in the truck but then where does 3 pounds of 1911 go? I put it up and will continue my previous schedule.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

GG, get a shoulder holster ....

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

For vehicle carry, check out Gum Creek Holsters. It mounts under your steering column, no modifications. I have one in my Silverado.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

mr surveyor wrote:GG, get a shoulder holster ....

jd
I don't wear suits. :lol: