Springfield XD9

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Springfield XD9

Post by Archer »

Recently came to my attention that Springfield was again running one of their promotions.
Here in CA certain XDs were shipping with 5 magazines and a small range bag.
One of the retailers had the package on sale for around $40 less than their normal going rate.
I ended up buying a 4" 9mm as I've been waiting to see what kind of promo Springfield would be running next.

Got the gun out to the range and was very happy with the results. So far very reliable, accurate and easy to use. Now I need to find a good holster and probably another dual mag pouch.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Springfield XD9

Post by akuser47 »

Xd handguns have always been good for me, though I prefer Glocks. Many departments use XD hanguns. They perform well. I had a nice 5 inch XD40 years ago when they were new.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Dad has an XD40C. It's fine for what it's supposed to do.

I bought it from a LEO that was changing to Glock for his backup.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The gun has been to the range 3 times and continues to preform well.
No complaints so far although I am considering a trigger upgrade to the .45 XD tactical (5").
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

About five years ago I bought a new XDS .45 acp for, hopefully, a daily carry gun to replace the "9's". After only a hundred or so rounds, mostly re-loads, it was a great shooter with about a 5.5# trigger. Then, about two weeks after I bought it I caught wind of the "Safety Re-call" just a couple of hours after it was announced. Since I hadn't changed out my daily carry habits, and I could get into the re-call loop early, the XDS was shipped back to Springfield the very next day .... in hopes of a successful, fast turn-around. But, it turned out that Springfield had no clue initially what to do for the "fix". Some six weeks later I finally got the gun back .... their "fix" may have worked (in their minds) for the safety issue, but the trigger was altered to a nasty, gritty, 9+#. I managed to sell it the next week and only took a financial loss of 20-30 bucks. What a waste .... it had the potential of being a very good carry gun.

Since I carry wheel guns mostly (6 days per week), the only time a semi-auto gets carried is on Sunday for church (and a .38 spl in the boot top) .... or the rare occasion of a social outing. Although my old Kimber Compact is by far the most accurate, reliable semi-auto I own, the manual of arms is much different than the "point and click" manual of arms for the revolvers that get carried 80-90% of the time. The XDS could have been the ultimate compromise (for a plastic fantastic) to fill that niche.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nearly any trigger can be fixed but almost none should HAVE to be fixed.

Nearly any gun can be safe. Any gun can be unsafe.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So the trigger on the XD-45 Tactical isn't unsafe. It isn't too heavy IMO but it is a bit long and creepy. While I wouldn't call it gritty I would say it is not smooth but hitches along the travel.
A couple parts vendors sell a trigger upgrade that mostly consists of putting the factory trigger with the overstop in place of the stock trigger and changing out the internal striker safety lever with options for lighter springs, and an optional sear replacement. (Apparently there were earlier versions that are no longer sold because they added additional internal stress points on the trigger mechanism.)

I've read that polishing the stock parts can crisp things up some if it isn't overdone.
The trigger kits run from $100 to $140 or so, which IMO ain't cheap.
On the other hand, leaving the stock parts unmodified means you can always return the gun to the way it shipped out from the factory (and/or you could always try to polish them while having parts to keep it working already ready.)

I lean toward the lower cost kit that should get rid of the creep and shorten the reset without changing the trigger pull weight if I use the stock springs. The sear replacement might be nice for a competition gun but I'd like to keep this available for self defense.