Maybe a new upper

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
smithd1

Re: Maybe a new upper

Post by smithd1 »

I may be way off cause it's two in the morning.....

isn't the 6.8 based on a standard lower and the 6.5 a large 308 based lower? just checking.

I have a 762x39 upper that I love. cant beat the ammo price. plus Im old and I don't shoot over a hundred yards for deer or tin cans so its perfect.

*********************************************************************************************************************
my bad......Grendel......not creedmore. too many calibers these days.
Round Rock, TX

USMC 0311/8551

LE since 01

"no good quote to share"
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

An armorer's wrench and a vice block set for the upper is all I have specifically and I make do. I don't even have a vise yet. I use c-clamps and a leg of my bench.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

smithd1 wrote:I may be way off cause it's two in the morning.....

isn't the 6.8 based on a standard lower and the 6.5 a large 308 based lower? just checking.

I have a 762x39 upper that I love. cant beat the ammo price. plus Im old and I don't shoot over a hundred yards for deer or tin cans so its perfect.

*********************************************************************************************************************
my bad......Grendel......not creedmore. too many calibers these days.
6.5 Grendel works out of a AR-15 sized platform, 6.8 SPC is the same.
6.5 Creedmoor works out of a AR-10/LR-308/SR-25 sized platform
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:I'm leaning more and more to picking up a complete upper in 6.5 Grendal from Primary Arms most likely. I don't have all the tools to build one from scratch and by going complete I should avoid the compatibility problems Archer spoke o.

Make smoke,
It sort of depends on what you want.
I expect the 6.5 Grendel Odin Works kit (Barrel, BCG and settable gas block) to assemble and run well.

I'm tweaking the parts selection with the other 6.5 Grendel upper I'm building. Probably using AR Stoner barrel, BCG and 'adjustable' gas block although I MIGHT replace the bolt or modify the extractor if it dings up the brass rim during extraction. IF I replace the bolt it will be with JP Enterprises parts I already have on hand. IF the AR Stoner gas block does not fit under the Midwest Industries G3 handguard I'll be ordering a SLR Rifleworks adjustable instead.

Both will be built with AeroPrecision forged uppers, Midwest Industries G3 keymod handguards, CA compliant compensators w/ thinned crush washers, BCM charging handles and BCM keymod grip panels.
IF I bought a complete upper I might have to disassemble it to get it assembled the way I want it.

As for build tools:
I recommend MagPul's Bev Block (READ the directions) works for both barrel and muzzle device installation and for use as a lower vise block,
MagPul's Armorer's wrench (good tool, second choice would be the TAPCO multi tool),
A Torque Wrench (The plate wrench to install or remove the barrel nut is included with the Midwest Industries handguards. A lot of other brands include them as well. SOME require a Crow foot wrench. Once you know the size you can get a wrench off E-bay or a set off Amazon or Tractor Supply.) you are looking mostly at minimum torque for the barrel nut.

You have a choice of putting together the upper or buying it with the ejection port cover and forward assist already installed. IF you are installing the forward assist or IF you are assembling a lower a set of roll pin punches and possibly roll pin starter punches are helpful.

Sometimes if the muzzle device is not standard sized wrenching flats a tappet wrench may be helpful if you can find one in the required size. (Another option may be a bicycle cone wrench.)

You can make do with a bit of scrap wood for installing a low profile gas block (or for installing the trigger guard roll pin.)

Of course the fact that I've GOT the tools for other builds already mean I don't have to buy them.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

As an update, Fail Zero is now offering a 6.5 Grendel bolt carrier group.
I'm tempted but I already have sufficient parts for now.