I've got a PSA pistol kit and a psa lower coming.

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
ethang

Re: I've got a PSA pistol kit and a psa lower coming.

Post by ethang »

PSA is either a love them or hate them company. I purchased a complete pistol upper and a complete lower last year and it has run like a raped ape with everything I have put through it. It's a fun gun, not a duty gun, but would be just fine for most uses. I am a certified armorer so I double checked it before shooting. Everything was in spec. I added a MBT trigger and a used Aimpoint and could not be happier.

I just picked up a 9mm pistol upper when they had them on clearance. Not too many rounds yet, but it too is solid and has not bobbled once. One of the guys I worked with had a bad experience. His upper refused to run and had to be sent back twice before they replaced it. The new one runs great. He is not as fond of them as I have been. They are killing it with prices, just watch the specs of whatever you order.
Plastic has no soul...
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah,
I just got a .308 reaction rod in from them for a pretty good price. Missed out on the AR-15 ones on discount Black Friday as they went like hotcakes from the couple vendors that marked them way down.
(The shop I help out at has one though and I have several other options including the MagPul BEV block, the bench vise cage setup and NoMar blocks that work in a pinch.)

I've so far had good results from the parts I've ordered from them but I've been a bit cautious.

I'm considering going with one or more pistol caliber ARs although I don't need them.
I'd like to rig up one in 10mm and or 45 for the fun of it. I think the 10mm would be a lot more practical.
9mm might be a better bet as the parts are more common and the ammos a lot less expensive.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

I'm still awaiting some parts and the lower. I got a notice of delivery error on Sunday and I have no idea what that means until I contact PSA.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

PSA 5.56 PISTOL KIT. I put together upper they sent me the lower fully assembled with an upgraded brace that cost more than the one I ordered. It was a sorry for taking so long to ship. I accept happily.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Wow, that's compact!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yep and its a pistol perfectly legal for me to carry anywhere a pistol can be carried with my CCW.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Nice.
Is that a standard A2 birdcage?
I want to hear how the muzzle flash and report are!

I found what I think is my first issue with a PSA part so far.
I bought a bolt carrier group to use the carrier with another of my builds. It was about as cheap to buy the whole group as to find just a carrier to buy.
When I swapped out bolts for the other one and reinstalled the firing pin and other small parts I found that the firing pin stuck in the bolt full forward. Not a lot of interference but enough to pick up the bolt by the firing pin when it was out of the carrier. If you rotated the pin inside the bolt it was free for about half the rotation and sticky for the other half. In the 5.56 PSA bolt the interference was less but still there and the bolt could still be picked up by the firing pin for maybe 25% of the rotation.

I checked another firing pin I had on hand and it did not bind in either bolt body.
I'm pretty sure this firing pin is either bent or slightly out of spec with regard to either the pin protruding section or the part of the shank just forward of the maximum diameter portion.

I'll contact PSA and see what they say but I'm not planning on sending the BCG back as I can put a good firing pin in it.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea debating on which linear comp I'm going to use. The a2 bird cage will rattle some feathers loose. That's my plan to try n deal with any issues myself. Once I get some range time we shall see if I'm still happy.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

all as short as possible
Fully exteneded
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Nice build AK.

I am beyond late to this thread, but just read it today,. I have found that a more vertical hand grip really improves the hold and shootability of these guns. The right wrist is less contorted. Might give a look-see to one made by Mission First Tactical - about $19 from flea bay. The grip angle is about the same as that for a 1911.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith