Alternate calibers for ARs?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Alternate calibers for ARs?

Post by Archer »

GasGuzzler wrote:Hoping to have all my stuff here this time next week.
I've got everything for 3 oddballs and a couple maybe three .223 Wylde Uppers plus a .308 complete build excepting optics.
I just have to get started assembling.

Haven't had a lot of time to work on them recently.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Upper and scope/rings should be here Wednesday.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Recently found a barrel manufacturer who does custom AR options.
$450 for a 'standard profile' 7mm-08 or a .243 seems a bit high but might be ok.
$615 for the same barrel in fluted is probably more than I'll spend but when you consider the onesie twosi nature of the manufacturing might not be out of bounds. In a hunting caliber/build I'd like to take a few ounces off.

A good .308 barrel is probably in the $220-$400 range at Rainer Arms day in and day out.
You can get 'a .308 barrel' as low as a hundred on a budget. $180 or so with a 1 MOA warranty BUT probably a heavier profile. 'Ultramatch' whatever the heck that means with fluting between $400 and $650.
6.5 Creedmoor is generally a bit higher.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well I've got a .243 production fluted barrel on order along with a receiver set that was on sale last week.
Unfortunately the .243 barrel is heavy profile and I'm going to need a .936 adjustable gas block for it but it was about a third the base cost of going custom so we'll see how it shoots and if it turns out to need a set of wheels to tote it around.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

ARs are like potato chips and rabbits,
One is not enough and once you assemble one the next thing you know you have several.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's finally done.

I need an adult to help me zero the Burris MTAC Ballistic CQ™ reticle. I used a laser bore sighter from the chamber to get the windage correct but I really got confused setting up the elevation.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

You won't find one here.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

THIS is the scope I have. Not sure how to adjust the elevation. I have a Sightmark chamber laser and I put the windage in the middle at 50 yds (approx). Shouldn't the dot from the chamber laser be just above the center dot of the scope at 50 yds? Bullet drop is nearly nil with a 123gr bullet and 16" barrel and the bullet should stay +/- 1" from 0 to 130 yds......so?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

So yeah you sight it in for 100 yards AT the central dot.

The scope you mention has two reticule options you don't mention which you got.
I don't see a particular mention of which caliber you are using, I assume you are NOT using 5.56 since you mention 123 grain bullets.

The drops in the reticule are probably set for either 55 or 62 grain NATO 5.56 loadings.
With a different caliber the ranges for each of the hash marks are probably going to be different than speced out in the diagram that came with/is shown with the scope.

As you are aware, boresight is to get you on paper only firing with the cartridge intended will prove out the sight/scope setup.

I've been lucky enough in my last couple three scope mountings that the scope has been within about 3-6 inches at 100 yards from the first mounting.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

But I cannot bore sight it at 100, that's why I was asking where to put the dot to start at 50 yds. I think the bore dot should be just above the reticle center dot.

Look up a couple posts....I have the Ballistic CQ™ reticle. I found where the drops are so I'm good at farther distances, just want to get it close before I go and try it.

It's 7.62X39 but it's been a couple pages and weeks since that was mentioned.