Companion 357 Pistol?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Companion 357 Pistol?

Post by GRV01 »

So wifey and I are looking for "camp guns" or revolvers that we wouldn't mind dropping in the mud when we're out and about so we're looking for something cheap and durable with 4" barrels and adjustable sights. Looking at these criteria we have the Taurus 66, Rossi 971, and the Target Mag Pug

the Taurus 66 is the most expensive but also has 7 rounds but little in the way of accessory support like grips and holsters (that I can find) while the Rossi 971 is the cheapest of the three but not available yet and not sold in stainless with the 4" barrel which brings me to Charter Arms

the Target Mag Pug is readily available, comes standard in stainless, has 4" barrel and adjustable sights but reviews are hit or miss. Go back just 5-7 years and it seems there were a lot of quality issues (reality check though, we're on the *Rossi* Riflemen board) but ofcourse, theres plenty of people out there who love them. I also like that Charter Arms has plenty of accessories for them like grips and holsters. Theyre not the best quality im sure, but for what I want out of this gun that's fine.

So my question to all of you is do any of you out there have or have fired a Target Mag Pug? What'd you think? Further, testimony on the Taurus 66 or Rossi 971 would be appreciated aswell
Last edited by GRV01 on 07 Jul 2017 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Charter Arms Target Mag Pug 357?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I used to own a Charter 44 Special Target Bulldog. I sold it because it had a nasty habit of locking up in DA, particularly when it was dirty. As I recall, the instructions recommended cleaning every 50 rounds, and they weren't kidding. This problem wasn't totally related to schmutz - It would lock up randomly even after very few rounds. The sights were adjustable, but elevation range is limited. I had to file the front sight to get the POI in the center of the adjustment range. Mine was about 6 years old, so maybe Charter has fixed things, and maybe the 357 is better in these areas. Grips and holsters are readily available. However, Charters are pinned together. Disassembly/reassembly is not recommended, so don't plan on any tuning.

I currently own a Taurus 441, which I recommend highly. It locks up, too, but only when I don't allow the trigger to fully return. It has a distinct two stage reset, and I had to learn not to short stroke it when I was running fast. One rubber grip (Hogue) is available, and that's it, as far as I could find. As for holsters, the 441 is equivalent to an S&W L frame. I suspect the 66 is the same frame size, but I don't know.

I had the same issues with Rossi's when I was looking. No 4 inch barrels or stainless options. Ya might swallow hard and open up the search to Rugers & S&Ws.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Rugers don't mind being dropped in the mud. You can't kill one. They're not cheap. They're not expensive.

I had some kind of Rossi by Taurus 4" L-size stainless adjustable sight DA for about a week or two (long enough to flip it after a detail job) but I never shot it. It seemed well built. It was a .357. For reference I sold it for $270 and made money.

Get a GP.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

Yup to the first one, good find. As to the second I want to avoid the ported barrels for a number of reasons (noise, flash, etc) so the Tracker is out. but one thing ive noticed is the Mag Pug isn't as available as Id hoped itd be and the Taurus 66 is cheaper than ive thought so I may end up picking that up

strictly speaking quality, I think Taurus has a better reputation over Charter Arms (but then again, the whole business with the recall?)

your thoughts?
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I bought this little 9 shot 22 about 4 or 5 years back.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... +22LR+2%22

It is a solid revolver, heavy trigger out of the box, but seems to be well made and solid.
This past month I have been researching a charter arms bulldog 44 special.
I handled one in a local gun shop, but was not impressed after handling it for a few minutes.
could be im spoiled by ruger and S&W.
I looked on utube at the charter arms bulldog, they seem to be ok from what Ive seen, but i was hesitant.
I was wanting one to keep in my truck, since I had a crack head pull a gun on me while driving down the road last month.
And with my life depending on this truck gun, I may just spend the extra couple hundred dollars and get a ruger.
This crack head ran a stop sign, i hit my brakes to keep from hitting him, he brandished a revolver and was waiting for me at the next intersection.
He jumped out, but didnt have the gun in his hands, so i told him to beat it.
If he had the gun in his hands when he got out I would have had to run him over,since I didnt have a gun handy.
when it happens, it happens lighting fast, and I want a good quality gun that is easy to operate and dependable.
may get this ruger SBH
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... AG+4.62%22
I carried a 1911 while in Grenada, it was tied to my belt with a paracord lanyard, it never left my side.
But a ruger blackhawk will do just fine for now.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I love Rugers but I ain't buying a new single action Ruger for $600 when I can get one second hand private sale for $450. I paid $EDIT for my .357 and it's by far the most acurate handgun I own.

You might have done better running the guy over regardless of your gun situation. Would have been easier and quicker and likely simpler.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

GasGuzzler wrote:I love Rugers but I ain't buying a new single action Ruger for $600 when I can get one second hand private sale for $450. I paid $EDIT for my .357 and it's by far the most acurate handgun I own.

You might have done better running the guy over regardless of your gun situation. Would have been easier and quicker and likely simpler.
I like how you think GG.
Definitely would have saved on ammo.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

probably too many repairs to the vehicle though...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Better than the legal on the other side.....and let's be honest, training and firing from a car a lethal to only intended target shot vs hitting the gas and steering is an easy choice.