Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

Post by Archer »

Won one last night at a dinner to benefit the animal husbandry kids at the fair.

Might wind up with my bud's older daughter. When I won it his wife told me I'd have to let one of the girls have it since they are both left handed. The younger daughter already told me she's left handed but shoots right handed so she'll pass this time.

Any suggestions regarding bases, rings and a scope?
Suggested bullet weights? Plinking ammo?
GasGuzzler

Re: Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm half left handed and my wife and our 9YO are both severely left handed. I'll take it. Thanks. :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very cool! I've one one rifle in my life, a Rem 700 30-06 which I traded back to the dealer as my dad wanted a bolt action 22 (CZ).
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Before you trust anybody's claim of lefthandedness, test them for left eyedness. Firearms training should follow the eye.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Before you trust anybody's claim of lefthandedness, test them for left eyedness. Firearms training should follow the eye.
We checked them several years ago.
The youngest one shoots right eye even though she's left handed.
The oldest one on the other hand isn't cross eye dominant.

The bad thing about giving it up is I'll need to get the youngest one something particularly nice.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I write and throw right handed. I was told I bat left handed because I'm right eye dominant. I shoot right handed but look at the sights or through a scope with my left eye. What am I?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Could be that you're eye ambidextrous, or at least not strongly dominant in one eye or the other. Here's a good link on the subject:

http://www.allaboutvision.com/resources ... e-test.htm

If your shooting technique works for you, I wouldn't recommend changing it. If you've been doing it for a long time, making the switch can be very challenging. But when I'm teaching new shooters, I always test for eye dominance first, and get them started on that side, regardless of their handedness.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I'm left handed although somewhat ambidextrous and dominantly left eyed, which is good as it's the only good one I've got. I've dealt with right handed bolt gun for so long I'm not sure what I do with a left handed one. i guess why Leyla I've hand this growing love a fair with lever and single shots along with occasional auto loader.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Did the paperwork.
Seems a decent little rifle. Savage Axis LH
I don't care for the plastic magazine catch on the magazine front but otherwise it seems pretty solid. The bolt comes out a lot easier than the one on my FCNS111 and the release works easy and consistently. The receiver is solid across the top of the gun unlike the FCNS111 which is open at the top until you put a rail over the top. I might make 'K' at least try to beat me at a 100 yard group if she thinks she wants it.

Spare magazine is ~$34 plus Magazine at Midway

Ammo seems to be about $25/box for basic Federal or Winchester or $20/box for PPU and pretty scarce locally. The store the gun came from for example didn't have a box on the shelf nor did they have a spare mag. I'd have bought a box at $30 or less or a mag at $35 or less to help support the store's support of the event if they'd have had them.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Checked 3 gunshops at lunch (1 by phone) and found 2 boxes of $40 CA required non lead hunting ammo, 1 box of high end plinking that'd be legal for most states for hunting except here. Also found 1 BLR in the same caliber that I'd not mind if I decide to keep dealing with this oddball caliber.

IF I'm keeping it or IF I'm giving it to 'K' either way somebody is going to need to lay in a case or two of mail order ammo before the end of the year and CA's silly posterior face to face ammo law goes into effect.