Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

Post by Archer »

RD, This one is my second 'win' for a firearm.
Both Savage rifles although the last one was a 243 FCNS with the Accutrigger/Accustock.
The 243 turned out awesome on the range.

Hopefully the Axis will turn out quite well. I know it is their entry level gun but it still seems pretty nice.

I wish I'd gotten a CZ .22 bolt or two when they were inexpensive. I may get one anyway.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: Savage Axis 7-08 LEFT hand

Post by Archer »

EGW full rail mount, aluminum, installed. Could have gone with separate bases cheaper BUT all the reviews stated that many scopes would not fit nicely with the typical base spacing AND the top of the rifle receiver is already closed so the full base doesn't make it any tighter on loading or ejection.
Could have gone with a Precision Reflex steel rail but there didn't seem to be a lot of reason to put a $110 rail on it and add to the weight. The rail went on fine but I had to chase the forward mounting hole and probably ruined a tap in the process since the receiver material seemed to be more obstinate than the tap. There were no plug screws installed at the factory unless some yahoo had pulled them before it got to the dealer. I guess I should write Savage and let them know about the rough threading job.

Right now it has a Redfield 3x9x42 on it wearing Warne steel QD rings. This scope would have been a pain to have put on the wide spacing of standard bases on this rifle but with the full rail it was an easy fit.
Since this is a ballistic cam capable scope and since I may end up giving the rifle to my 'adopted niece' it's likely that this scope will eventually be replaced by a similar Redfield without the ballistic cam option. I think I'd really like to put a 4x12 on it but that's a bit of an added expense for a gun I probably won't be using much. If it stays in my inventory I'm also likely to change out the rings at the same time for a set of Leupold non-QDs I've got lying around. It just so happened that the Warnes were still on this scope from a different mounting experiment and only needed to be realigned to be level with this mount/rifle compared to the clamp on contraption they'd be previously leveled on.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it to the range for sighting in and for the young lady to try it out and see if she likes it soon but I've just gotten tagged for some business travel coming up and I know she's been working pretty steady so finding time for both may be somewhat problematic.

So far IF a local shop has any ammo they've got 2 boxes of Nosler E-tip non-lead at about $38 to $40 out the door once taxes have been added. I've only found a couple boxes of leaded ammo on the shelf. I went ahead and bought a set of dies. If I don't keep the rifle the young lady's father will probably end up with them. They were on sale when I bought the scope mount, so he's likely to reimburse me if it comes to that. If not I just might have to pick up that BLR.