Thoughts on the Remington 742 semi auto

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Thoughts on the Remington 742 semi auto

Post by Archer »

I know someone who owns one that is super clean and has had very little use in .30-06.
He is getting ready to sell it.

Any thoughts on the model or on possible values.

I'm not in on this one unless his deal falls through and even then I might be more likely to suggest it to another buddy and see if I could get myself another bolt action or a Browning BAR instead.
ksmoose

Re: Thoughts on the Remington 742 semi auto

Post by ksmoose »

My son bought a used one and had some trouble with the bolt not fully going into battery and locking. There were certain years where the blot was made of softer material and would wear if I remember right. He was told this by a gunsmith. This is not my experience, but what I was told.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I just sold a mag for a 30-06 742 that had been knocking around in my kit for years. I had gathered it up many years ago when I took possession of my Dad's Mauser. He had no idea where he got it. Likely from a fellow Northwoods whitetail hunter, where the 742 and its brethren still maintain a healthy fan base.

From what I read on the interweb, the original mags are worth finding, at around $38. The recent production mags are multi-caliber, and have fit issues. In addition, they lack the bolt release/round counter thingee.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Never seen one here in South Texas nor a BAR for that matter.
Michael
Durf

Post by Durf »

Got a 742 giving to me by a uncle,looked brand new . But the achellies heel was the lugs on bolt and barrel as ksmoose said. My 742 is a really nice club lol,
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Yeah, reviews on the net look mixed. Folks who've owned them either love them or hate them.
I gather as a hunting rifle for two or three shots at a time they are pretty good but for sustained fire or a couple boxes of target practice they don't tend to cut it against more robust designs.

This one is quite pretty, very clean with near zero marks on it.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey Archer - sorry but your question made me think:

go back in time just a few years more with Remington, get yerself one of those hi-tech Model 81's in .300 Savage!

I've got 2. They aren't as light, cool, or user-friendly as a 742 or a 760 and .300 Savage was the highest velocity chambering available in the 81's, but they work! LOL

This is just one of my fave old guns to work with and shoot. Can still hunt for sure!

Have several 8's and 81's - .30Rem, .32Rem, .35Rem, and two in .300 Savage

take care, sorry for the ramble!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

.300 Savage? I'm in!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Well, like I said, I'm not in on this one.
I simply evaluated the gun for the owner and the potential buyer.
I have a CZ bolt .30-06, a Winchester lever .30-06, a couple Garands, a 1903 and a 1917 so I'm not really in the market and if I was looking for a hunting semi '06 I'd probably be looking for the Browning or just pop the 5 round enblock into one of the Garands. If I was looking for another '06 in general I'd probably be looking at a Savage bolt, maybe a Remington or Winchester bolt if one popped up at a good price or another Garand or a Browning BLR lever. None of which are something I exactly need.

Since I didn't fire the 742 I couldn't make any comments on reliability.
Based on the comments/videos/reviews here and elsewhere, assuming the action is reliable while clean I suspect the gun should be decent using factory 150-180 grain ammo at moderate ranges for a shot or three that you'd expect in hunting or sighting it in.

It isn't however useful for running a box or two out of it at a time much less a hundred rounds or two. The barrel is too light for sustained heating. The action is reputed not to handle dirt from firing or the environment well. Magazines from the 7400 will fit and function but do not include the bolt release knob on the mag. Aftermarket magazines from Triple K are available but I've never been much of a fan of their products and word is that functioning with aftermarket mags is suspect. There was a company putting out poly mags for these guns but they have ceased production.

Prices at the auction sites are all over the map and don't seem markedly linked to condition. I'm talking about auctions with bidding ONLY since it seems there's a lot of folks out there who seem to want to put pictures of their guns on the web and tell you they are worth two or three times going rate.
vvllbs

Post by vvllbs »

I have had one for 30 years, never failed me until last year. It was the magazine's fault! Missed out on some hogs cause of that. Went to eBay and got a 10 rounder that works flawless