RD's Christmas!

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: RD's Christmas!

Post by Missionary »

Hard to beat a 308 in any rifle.
25 years back bought a passle of the Small Ring Mausers (1916) that the Israeli forces had rebarreled 308. Still have mine as well as one son. Should have bought 2 passles !
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Missionary wrote:Hard to beat a 308 in any rifle.
25 years back bought a passle of the Small Ring Mausers (1916) that the Israeli forces had rebarreled 308. Still have mine as well as one son. Should have bought 2 passles !
You have got that right. When I was a kid, I bought a Mossberg 800A chambered in the cartridge and all the old guys that my dad hunted with thought I was a crazy kid. Of course, the cartridge was less than a decade old and to them it would never find favor over the 30-06 Springfield. They thought I was really over the edge when I told them I was going to buy a 444 Marlin as well! My poor dad, was hunting with the 30-30 Win that he had used all his life and his kid is going crazy with these new fangled cartridges!

The hope for this rifle is that it is on bags sitting on the shelf of a tower blind late at night with me looking at hogs through the night vision optics that are attached to it getting ready to send a heavy, suppressed lead slug through a hog's skull. Not just one hog, but all of them.
Michael
LowKey

Post by LowKey »

Ranch Dog wrote: night vision optics that are attached
You must really love that dog!

Looking forward to seeing the set up of the night vision optics.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I mostly started out thinking .30-06 was more gun than I really needed in the north GA woodlands.
ONLY one of my high school buds bothered with the caliber while the rest of us typically were content with .30-30s from Winchester or Marlin.

When I got a Garand in college I quickly fell in love with the .30-06 and in that platform it was a smooth shooting well behaved round although the brass got beat up pretty good, pretty quickly.

Not really caring to expand into another caliber that was essentially a duplicate of what I already owned it took me a while to get a .308, especially when Clinton and the idiots passed Sara Brady's and Charles Schumer's wish list of an AWB at the Fed level and CA follow suit and it looked like a M1A would be out of sight expensive and legally unobtainium I concentrated on '06 guns over '08s.

Eventually I wound up with a legal M1A although the idiots in government here reclassified a bunch of stuff as CA-AWBs including it that put me on the .308 path and I've got around the same number if not more '08s as '06s.

Still if I could only have one I'm not sure but what I'd shade toward the '06.
And I'm not old enough to be in the .308's 'new fangled' camp.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Man, that's great you picked up a new Savage 11 Scout - that's one of the "herd" of .308 Scouts I've been drooling over as well. I don't care about the magazine being proprietary - big deal! The Savage triggers are sweet - and the cost is really nice, compared to other guns of this class.

Have fun culling the herd of wild Texas hawgs!

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.