30-30 Revolver

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 30-30 Revolver

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I shoot Dan Wesson Supermag revolvers. They all weight about 4 pounds with the 8 inch barrel assembles. Figuring recoil is the same from same weight bullets getting punched out at about the same velocity from same weight revolvers I have to say the 357 Supermag with a 180 grainer at 1550 does not produce any horendous recoil. I do not know exactly how fast that revolver will get a 170 grainer going but I would think anyone that can tolerate the recoil of a 44 mag slamming a 240 grainer at 1500 fps could handle that 30-30.
Getting to a case that holds near the same amount of powder as the 30-30 is the 375 SM. With a 220 grainer it is routine to see 1550 fps using 296 with my 8 inch DW. More fps can be gained with 1680. Again recoil to me is quit tolerable although I do not recommend shooting these revolvers close by a flat verticle surface (wall) that would reflect the blast noise towards you.
It is not till I get into bullets weights beyond 240 grains that I get a little uncomfortable with recoil. The 414 SM with 265 + grainers crono'd at 1630 fps from an 8 inch DW was about my comfort zone. There gets to be a hidious muzzle blast and a sharp twisting of the grip that my "over 60 wrists just do not like much".
So me.. If I wanted one.. I would venture forth. I would rather have tried it and found it more than I bargained for than to wonder for the rest of my life..What if I had tried. Admiral Rickover stated" Our doughts are traitors and make us loose the good we oft might win by failing to attempt" . He of course is the man responsible for our Navy having nuclear power today.
Mike in Peru
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Zippidydoodah

Post by Zippidydoodah »

You can always download the 30-30 and also shoot the lighter wt bullets, 100-125 grain and or shoot the50-55 grain sabots. They all work good . I have t/c contender in 10" bbl. can shoot a variety from 85 grain hornady wad utters up to 170, 180 grain with ease. Have fun.
Bibletotingunslinger
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Bibletotingunslinger »

I did. One day I interrupted this poker game, they thought I was the cops,,,,,So any how this guy I knew, Warren, says come see my shooter, so we walked to his Harley, he whoops this ,,,,,thing out of his saddle bag.
It was huge, Freedom Arms 45/70 revolver, he grinned at me and asked if I wanted to shoot it. I chickened out.
Don't ask me to do anything where where I can't take Bible and Gun, I would leave Dog home, but reluctantly.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I first shot IHMSA with a 10" TC in 357 Herret. With the Pachmyer grip and a PAST shooting glove the recoil was tolerable with up to 200 grain slugs. The flash and bang on the other hand was bothersome if you were on a bench next to me :D . Still not sure if I do the 45-70 but were I to come across a 14" at a vary reasonable price it would be tempting.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image