Mossberg MVP anyone?

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
alphalimafoxtrot

Mossberg MVP anyone?

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey, Team Rossi -

A question for you with Mossberg rifles, specifically the MVP series in 5.56 or 7.62x51 flavors: How do you like your rifle?
I saw one at the range and was immediately interested. I see the 5.56 version as nice to match with my AR and the 7.62x51 as good for everything and anything - target/hunting etc.

Thanks!
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Mossberg MVP anyone?

Post by akuser47 »

I know nothing of either rifle just a heads up , most domestic rifles are chambered in .223 in stead of the .556 nato chambering. Which is big deal unless you reload and pay attention it's why I like 556 chambers it can shot both. I've shot surplus 762x51 and domestic out of my Remy 700 with no illeffects and they performed ok for being cheap surplus. From your username I figure you may already know this just chiming in. I bet somone here has some info on them. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I had considered the MVP Scout but didn't care for the full picatinny rail. I would rather it be a forward rail that keeps the ejection port of the receiver completely clear for quickly dealing with cartridge issues.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

akuser47 wrote:I know nothing of either rifle just a heads up , most domestic rifles are chambered in .223 in stead of the .556 nato chambering. Which is big deal unless you reload and pay attention it's why I like 556 chambers it can shot both. I've shot surplus 762x51 and domestic out of my Remy 700 with no illeffects and they performed ok for being cheap surplus. From your username I figure you may already know this just chiming in. I bet somone here has some info on them. +corn
Thanks for the feedback, ak - these rifles are all 5.56 chambered so that's a non-issue.

I'm reading about the Ruger Scouts and the Savage rifles - and of course the Mossberg stuff - thanks for the ideas....
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

We've sold quite a few of them and as far as I know there's been no complaints.
I sort of like them but I've got guns that fill the .308 and 5.56 nitch pretty well.
The bolts are a little loose compared to more classic designs but that's not unusual these days.

There's a lot of variations out there with regard to stocks and barrels.
We had a half dozen of the small bores on the rack and no two were alike.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

alphalimafoxtrot wrote:I'm reading about the Ruger Scouts and the Savage rifles - and of course the Mossberg stuff - thanks for the ideas....
I own the Savage 10FCM Scout in both 308 Win and 7.62x39. The are both the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Of course this rifle is out of production and I have since looked at the Savage 11 Scout but I'm to satisfied to change. The 10FCM meets my hunter needs but the 11 is the tactical "Scout".

On a public hunt I went on last year, the area offered a "scouting" day prior to the hunt if you participated in a hunter accuracy project. Just sit down and shoot three shots at fifty yards. The next day at the hunt briefing they had some statistics from the shooting. I was tired and pretty much asleep at this point but perked up just in time when the bunched the data to show accuracy by rifle manufacture. Savage won hands down.

I looked at the Ruger but when they offer their "Patented integral scope mounts, machined directly on the solid-steel receiver, provide a stable mounting surface for scope rings..." bla, bla, bla. I hate their integral scope mounts... and rings. I'm going through this with the 77/44 I just bought, makes me wish I didn't buy the rifle. What a goofy restrictive setup. I bypassed this with my Mini-30 through the purchase of a scout mount. It has also kept me from buying a No. 1 and the Frontier.
Michael
normAK

Post by normAK »

I have the 5.56/223 Varmint model MVP with a Vortex 6-18x44 scope. This rifle is a flat out tack driver. It completely changed my mind on Mossberg rifles and now I also own a 4 x 4 300 win mag that is also quite the shooter.