.22 caliber revolvers

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
DonB

Re: .22 caliber revolvers

Post by DonB »

massmanute wrote:Thanks Pricedo,

I have just barely started looking into this topic, as in an hour or two ago.

Along the way I learned about the Ruger LCR-22. It seems to be getting good reviews. I realize that this gun has a short barrel, which somewhat goes against what I said in my first post. Also, it seems to be double action only (no single action operation), which is not ideal. However, I have seen a lot of enthusiastic reviews of this revolver, many of the commenting on a great trigger pull.

It seems to be a fun gun that could double up as a concealed carry gun. It's only .22 caliber, which some people might not agree with as a concealed carry gun. However, for a relatively inexperienced woman (who might end up with the gun) I figure it's better to get something that is mild to shoot and easy to master than for her to try to master some kind of hand cannon right off the bat. Besides, I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a .22 shot, so I expect it would actually be an adequate defensive weapon, or at least a lot better than nothing.

An interesting thing about this model is that Ruger also makes very similar models in .38 special and .357 magnum, which would provide a convenient upgrade path, if an upgrade were ever needed.

Hey, maybe I should get an LC-22 for me too.

I also noticed that Rossi has a new .22 caliber revolver.

I'm still open to other ideas in addition to the excellent comments from Pricedo.
I have the Ruger LCR in the .38 cal and considering the short barrel it is very accurate which I believe has to do with the trigger pull. With the cam system they use it makes the trigger pull much lighter.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

I found a local advertisement for an old (pre-war) H&R top break .22 revolver. Any comments on this type of gun? What do you think a gun like this in pretty good condition might be worth? I haven't inspected the gun, but I am thinking about buying it.
pricedo
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by pricedo »

For DA revolvers nothing beats a "Smitty"........nothing. :!:
LIFE MEMBER - NRA & GOA
Arktikos
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Arktikos »

I have only had one 22 revolver, an old Smith, k22 back when I was just a kid. Shot that thing a lot! Nowadays I have been thinking about a Ruger bearcat just to shove into my coat pocket when out hiking. I think that they are a little overpriced however..

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
No such thing as bad weather in Alaska, just lousy clothing choices!
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Right now I am leaning toward a Rossi Plinker or a Taurus 94. The Rossi looks a lot like the Taurus model 94 revolver. However, as near as I can tell, based on zooming in on photos at the web sites, it looks like the front sight on the Rossi is replaceable, but not the front sight on the Taurus. (Go to the Rossi and Taurus sites and zoom in on the photos of the different guns.)

What I would really like would be a hybrid between the two, i.e. a Stainless steel version of the Rossi with a 4" barrel (which they don't seem to make) or a stainless steel Taurus with 4" barrel and a fiberoptic front sight, but they don't seem to make the Taurus with the fiberoptic front sight.

If the front sight of the Taurus were replaceable then one could probably buy a replacement part for the Rossi front sight and swap it out on the Taurus, but if the front sight of the Taurus is not replaceable then that wouldn't work.
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

OK, now my thinking is shifting gears, and I am thinking more along the lines of a Heritage Manufacturing single action revolver, probably one with adjustable sights and a 4.75" barrel. Any comments on those revolvers?
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

massmanute wrote:OK, now my thinking is shifting gears, and I am thinking more along the lines of a Heritage Manufacturing single action revolver, probably one with adjustable sights and a 4.75" barrel. Any comments on those revolvers?
The rough rider that my uncle bought when I got my ruger single six shoots very good just not finished nearly as nice as the single six but a great shoooter. I like my uncles and hard to beat the price.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Tazman1602

Post by Tazman1602 »

massmanute wrote:OK, now my thinking is shifting gears, and I am thinking more along the lines of a Heritage Manufacturing single action revolver, probably one with adjustable sights and a 4.75" barrel. Any comments on those revolvers?
For the price they're hard to beat. Love my Rugers and Smiths but most of them cost 3-4 times as much. It's a nice little plinker and accurate too. I have the 6" bare bones model.

Art
Pappys Rifle Shop
Alanson, MI
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. "
---Theodore Roosevelt
massmanute
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by massmanute »

Any thoughts regarding fixed vs. adjustable sights on the Heritage Rough Rider? I am leaning toward adjustable. My fear is that the fixed sights might not be zeroed in, and to re-zero would involve bending or cutting metal, which I am hesitant to do.

Also, any thoughts about getting one with two cylinders (long rifle and magnum) vs. just getting a long rifle cylinder? My thinking is that for me the magnum cylinder probably wouldn't get used much, but the experience of others would be helpful.

Thanks.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

The best thing abouth the duo of cylinders is you have the option to have it if you want it later rather than a chance of regret there is not much diff. in price might as well get the magnum option if you can afford to. I like being able to shoot 22 mag out of my single six and I would regret not getting if I didn't but it is not a need only the idea of wanting more out of a single platform. Go for it all if you can :twisted: I will be the devil on your shoulder :twisted: buy it and fun will be your reward :twisted:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!