First AK build

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

First AK build

Post by Archer »

So I've never been much of an East Block weapons guy outside of CZ which is IMO a bit of an anomaly in terms of post WWII East Block weapons and post Soviet collapse is no longer East Block at all.

Given the new laws that take effect in January it may become all but impossible to assemble an AK clone in CA. I've got several buds who are building them or who have interest in them and I've been convinced to put one together even though I'm not necessarily convinced I'll be totally happy with it. There's a bit more on that later maybe.

I'm getting a Nodak Spuds receiver:
NDS-1 Caliber 7.62x39 for AKM type kits. Based on the Hungarian SA-85 pattern (Made in the U.S.A.)

ALG AKT trigger (3 U.S. Parts)
Polish WBP parts kit with installed U.S. Nitrated barrel (Was strongly considering a Polish hammer forged barrel but couldn't quite bring myself to spend the extra $90.)
Slant muzzle brake (U.S. part).
AK builder rivet kit (universally sold on all the AK sites as the rivets to use for this application)
Red Star Arms Trigger Retaining plate.
Magpul magazines (currently have 3 20 rounders blockded down to 10s for CA legality. These also count as U.S. parts BUT I don't like relying on a detachable part/assembly as a compliance part.) (BTW I've been told the same block size works for these as works for .308 20 round Magpul AR magazines.)

CA style magazine release block

The furniture is still up in the air.
I am waffling between Magpul MOE AK furniture and Timber Wolf laminated furniture.
I'm a sucker for nice laminated wood but it's an AK and the Timber Wolf stuff is now running rubber buttpads instead of steel buttplates. In addition I think the MagPul stuff may be just a bit more ergonomic and if it has to have a rubber baby bumper on the buttstock at least the MagPul stuff seats on the shoulder in a very solid manner. (Must make certain the MagPul fore end is cut for the gas block front sling attachment or that sling point would need to be trimmed off and replaced with something that attaches to the MagPul part.

Ironwood is extremely nice but somewhat expensive, even if you finish it yourself, and requires additional hardware. It does have the advantage of being cut to the exact patter of the rifle you are building so very limited fitting should be required.

In any event the furniture should count as 3 additional U.S. parts. That should well exceed the requirements for compliance.

As for tools, I don't really intend to make more than one of these firearms. As a result I'm going to bribe one of my buds to use his tools. The barrel is already headspaced and installed, so it will be removed and reinstalled after the trunnion is riveted and the headspace rechecked and everything buttoned up.

(I say build ONE but in truth a buddy is building another one with the same parts kits +/- the furniture more or less at the same time.)
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Re: First AK build

Post by Archer »

So one of my buds is a bit of a world armaments guy who's been building various 'clones' of weapons from around the world from parts kits and the like for the past 45 years or so.
He's been a great help selecting parts and is the guy with the tools for the AK build.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

That's awesome the alg triggers have really great reviews. You have selected quality parts as well. Smart move on getting it while you can you can always sell it off if you hate it. Just remember it will be battlefield accurate not M.O.A. accurate like some ar15 rifles you recently assembled. I love build stories. +corn
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm actually not expecting superb accuracy having seen a couple guys use similar weapons in a NRA High Power matches.

That said, I'm actually hearing rumors that the round can be pretty good even in an AK (better in an SKS and better still in a bolt) IF it is put together with better bullets/components. I also have a 7.62x39 AR upper assembly coming in. I don't really expect great things from that either but it should be fun and might be pig capable.

Despite the LuckyGunner barrel burnout report I am not real fond of Russian/Chinese steel jacketed ammo. I don't really care too much in regard to steel cased depending on the prices.
I hear the Yugo stuff is pretty good but it is still corrosive and although I know it isn't that much of a big deal I don't really want to deal with that right now. There's a lot more non-corrosive and non-steel jacketed ammunition out there or so it seems even to the point of factory boxer primed stuff.

I split a case of Geco with a buddy of mine and he also talked me into a partnership OFB buy.
IMO we should have just picked up a couple cases of the Geco and shot one of them off for the brass. Cheaper than buying OFB and loading it for FMJ and then the brass should be one lot and really OFB rather than MFB.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Here are some stocks I have done. The red is wal mart Rit dye concentrate wine 10. I use a polyurethane over it once I get the color where I like it. I have since liked just oil like Boiled linseed oil but I use stuff like fromby's, I also like using teak oil as well. You get a nice finish brings out the grain and protects the wood and you can touch it up easier than the red with poly on it. the romy g stock set is done in like 12 to 13 coats of blo. the wasr 10 dragonov stock is the rit dye with poly.
More of the wine rit dye and poly
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Thanks for the posts.
I think I like the traditional furniture in the last couple pics.
Any idea of the concentration(s) you used?
Was it dyed into the wood or was it merely a surface coat?

I've done a bit of wood finishing with traditional oils and polys with pretty good results.
I haven't tried getting more primary based colors however and haven't really tried any sort of dyed rather than 'stained' finish.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

For the red you see I used a cotton rag and wiped it into the wood and let it dry using full strength, and reapplied it until I liked what I was seeing. This was after stripping and sanding to smooth and I tried to match them perfectly as you can see though all the red was done in same manor and time frame no matter what I tried I couldn't get them to match perfect as upper gas tube wood is usually a hardwood instead of laminate so absorption will vary. Just certain parts darken more than others. I added poly over the dye once dye was dry. I used the rit dye full strength not broke down some will like to break them down some or mix several colors up so its not as dark or to get it certain colors. Here is a formula and how to that's pretty good
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=198
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Got my stocks and I think I'll leave them be as they are 100% better than I expected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Yea That's nice wood, watch gun shows n such for old romy wood can be found cheap here and there and then you can do a set in red. If you would want to that is. That is a nice stockset there.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Everybody I've talked to has said go with the MagPul pistol grip and either MagPul for the remainder of the furniture or go with Iron Wood or one of the aftermarket laminates (TimberSmith or Boyd's). I really liked the Boyd's that Atlantic is offering with the sling mounts and steel buttplate but didn't care for the $170 pricetag.
TimberSmith looks nice but at $130+ with a rubber baby bumper buttpad I wasn't sold. Boyd's direct was almost reasonable but again stuck a rubber buttpad on the gun. I guess I'm a little old school but I've not really been convinced that this round NEEDS a soft buttpad. I've also generally thought that the soft buttpads may simply give the gun some running room to 'hit' you when you touch them off.