Remington 870s

A bucket for anything that does not fit the above forum categories, both longgun and handgun.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Remington 870s

Post by Archer »

I recently exchanged the furniture on my two Remington 870s. I had been able to change the stock on one ages ago but the other seemed problematic as the recoil pad screws didn't want to turn and I didn't have a fore end wrench for them.

I managed to get the newer Express stock changed without issue quite some time ago. I borrowed a fore end wrench recently and it required some effort but eventually the nut came loose and I was able to swap out the handguard. The new furniture is Hogue overmolded and it seems quite nice compared to the basic wood.

On the police 870 I had to use a different screwdriver but I was finally able to get one that turned the screws holding the factory recoil pad in place and get a MagPul stock installed. the new bolt is a bit of a pain as you can't turn it easily with the supplied allen wrench but it can be done you just have to do it 15-25 degrees at a time.

The real problem came in with the fore end on the Police. The first thing that was evident was that the nut was threaded on by a guy with a cheater wrench and had no intention of coming off. Penetrating oil did NOT help even over the course of several nights. The second thing that was evident was that some numbnut at the factory managed to put the receiver together out of spec as once the action bars were removed from the gun they were a cast iron pain in the patoot to get back in. The welded boss was apparently not spec or not centered and the action bars would not start easily and the shell latch on the inboard side made no difference to the installation as the weldment had the bar on that side twisted by then and it had to be forced in further in order to snap in place. IMO the gun shouldn't have left the factory like that.
In any event the MagPul wrench provided to remove the old fore end and install the new one sheared the driving tabs completely off. I took it into the shop and with the aid of one of the shop guys, a metal fore end wrench and a big honking bench vice we managed to get the old one off finally. During the process and before we got it in the vice we darned near twisted the action bars to the point of damaging them. I had thought that the nut might have been corroded into the fore end or onto the fore end tube but it wasn't. Apparently it had only been cranked on by a gorilla with a cheater. The Magpul part installed easily and the nut was easily installed with a dab of grease to prevent any corrosion just in case.

I'm a bit disappointed in the Police although I bought it used it's a royal pain to strip it and reassemble it.